Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a new bike a year ago and had the dealer swap out the Specialized spec’d crank set for a xtr 960 Hollow-Tec as an up-grade.
Recently, looking at the crank arms they have 180 punched in them.
If 180 means millimeters, it’s a mistake. I’m only 5’8 and now, with each long stroke of the pedals, I’m wondering how inefficient is it?

What’s the down side to having too long of a crank?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ask Your Wife...

raspberry said:
IWhat's the down side to having too long of a crank?
No, seriously, I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it. You are talking about 1/5 of an inch, so the impact on clearance is almost nil.
The 180mm cranks give just a bit more leverage than the shorter ones, but I imagine you would have a hard time telling the difference. They are not creating an inefficient pedal stroke IMO.

Remember that hundreds of women in the 5'2" to 5"4" range use 175mm cranksets routinely without any problem. The 180s are not intended just for very tall people.

John W.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
probably

raspberry said:
I bought a new bike a year ago and had the dealer swap out the Specialized spec'd crank set for a xtr 960 Hollow-Tec as an up-grade.
Recently, looking at the crank arms they have 180 punched in them.
If 180 means millimeters, it's a mistake. I'm only 5'8 and now, with each long stroke of the pedals, I'm wondering how inefficient is it?

What's the down side to having too long of a crank?
upside is more leverage when climbing and pedaling slowly.
downside is more difficulty spinning rapidly, and possibly higher likelihood of knee issues because the knees are forced to bend more acutely at the topof the stroke.
Despite what the other poster says (he's likely never experienced various length cranks) there is a LOT of difference between 175s aned 180s, and switching back and forth you would definitely notice the difference. Indeed there is a significant difference between 175s and 177.5s, my preferred crank length that's on 3 of my bikes. I have a SS with 180s as well. I'm 5'10". I think you would be best served by 175s, save the 180s and put them on a SS, where all that leverage is most appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'll either live with it, or break out the credit card.
Funny thing is when I didn't know the cranks were 180s, they felt fine. But now that I know, it feels like my legs are flailing around.

I don't know why my first post looks like it came from Mars. Maybe it's because I drug it over from a word processor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.