Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have a 2017 carrera sulcata. I got it second hand in late 2019 for £200 and since I have done over 4000km on it. Unfortunately, it's had numerous problems and I've probably spent about £180 in service and parts. Now, it seems that so many parts need fixing and replacing the bottom brackets gone, the cassettes damaged, the drive train is knackered, and random things will squeak while I'm riding. Is it worth fixing all of this, which will probably cost over £100, or shoild I just buy a different bike?
Thanks guys
Isaac

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fix it. Replace components one at a time..

Bikes are not meant to be a disposable consumer product.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Ye but almost all the components need replacing atm, so I need to replace them at once, I can't just replace them one at a time as my bike is unridable until its fixed

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,601 Posts
Sounds like you already know what you need to do but just need reassurance to follow through with it.

Reactions: Crankout

·
since 4/10/2009
31,244 Posts
can't find much on the bike you mention, but it seems like an inexpensive entry level bike.

"worth" is a difficult question to ask. what's this specific bike worth to you as a functional bicycle? only you can quantify that.

the cost of the parts on this sort of bike, though, is likely to exceed the replacement cost of the whole bike. with pandemic availability what it is, you're kinda backed into a corner, though. there might be certain parts you need that are unavailable. and a complete replacement bike of similar quality (even many that are better) will likely be unavailable.

it's important to take care of your bike, though. I had to learn the same with my first entry level bike when I wore out most of the parts at about the same time. take care of what you have and maintain it. Yes, you'll likely spend more on maintenance than you spent on the initial purchase price. doing as much of the work yourself as possible can reduce the expense of that maintenance and service, but it's still there. and hopefully you can stagger the replacement of parts so the bill doesn't come due all at once.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
It can be a tough call between upgrading an entry level bike, or buying a nicre one altogether. Depends on your intended use.

To me it's like a car...at what point do you keep on fixing it instead of upgrading and lessening the hassle of broken and worn out parts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The word worth. You talking money I would think.
Have you got skills/tools to do your repairs DIY? Buy the same bike cheap, knackered and cannibalize parts.
Maybe get some kind of ride borrowed or cheap to fill in until your main ride is repaired. Or if you can swing it, get a different ride altogether.
My personal mantra is “people sell their bike problems ”. Not all the time of course. But....

·
Registered
266 Posts
I really want this to be factual..... but I'm not so sure it is.
Fair point. Bikes “shouldn’t be” disposable, but cheap consumer bikes sold by Wal-Mart and the like drive that mentality.

Consumerism is a disease, I’m guilty of it like most of us are to some extent. I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bikes “shouldn’t be” disposable, but cheap consumer bikes sold by Wal-Mart and the like drive that mentality.
Yup. My niece just bought one. I tried to get her to do otherwise.

Just like personal self esteem, bike self esteem should be a thing.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Fair point. Bikes “shouldn’t be” disposable, but cheap consumer bikes sold by Wal-Mart and the like drive that mentality.
The upper end of the market isn't so different. We get components that are a bit longer-lasting, then they change the standards.... so I end up with a basement full of parts with lots of life left that don't fit anything.

One step forward two steps back.

·
Murica Man
Do it for Dale (#3)
646 Posts
You need to dump it. It is way too old.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
is this the first sensible thing picard has ever posted?

Reactions: Harold
1 - 16 of 16 Posts