Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All this talk about how the 26 inch wheel is dead and one must ride a bike with 29 or 27.5 wheel or else.

I am puzzled. My 26 inch wheeled Superlight and steel HT ride as well today as they did in 2008.

Am I out of touch? Have I missed something? With that said I have no issue regarding wheel size. Am I wrong to be content with my 26 inch wheeled bikes? Industry says I ought to be. As do a lot folk on internet forums.

With that said, IMO this site has lame smilies. Could not find one to fit this post.

Edit: this added from post 18. Many folk just read the OP and respond to post one without reading what is said later on. I do the same.

Yep.

This thread was part serious, part tongue-in-cheek. I am sick of the hype. I see the day when they will stop making quality 26" rims and tires and I don't feel like being forced to buy a new frame for the want of a quality 26" wheel. All of the Big Boys no longer offer quality (and some no) 26" bikes.

End of rant. I have nothing against wheel sizes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You are not out of touch, 26 is still alive :thumbsup:! Of course I do have a 29er right now but I started out on a 26. I have no doubt that I could ride a 26er just as fast as my 29er.

G

·
I used to have a first generation Cannondale SM500 (26"/24") that I'd still take on most technical trails. I think the only tire size that's relegated to the parts bin are the old Schwinn specific 26ish'r.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
26" wheels are dead just like 29er's are just a fad. Neither is true, both are still kickin' and not likely going anywhere anytime soon.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,408 Posts
If you have to ask the question, no.

·
beater
5,934 Posts
All this talk about how the 26 inch wheel is dead and one must ride a bike with 29 or 27.5 wheel or else.

I am puzzled. My 26 inch wheeled Superlight and steel HT ride as well today as they did in 2008.

Am I out of touch? Have I missed something? With that said I have no issue regarding wheel size. Am I wrong to be content with my 26 inch wheeled bikes? Industry says I ought to be. As do a lot folk on internet forums.

With that said, IMO this site has lame smilies. Could not find one to fit this post.
Are you really puzzled? I subscribe to several magazines, and read the forums. I read maybe half the reviews in Bike, for example, because if I'm not in the market, I'm not real interested. Plus, I get bored of all the lame similes: "climbs like a..." But none of those reviews has ever claimed you must upgrade your bike now, because these days it sucks (!). The only time I see that sentiment, it's from someone who's butthurt about something new being advertised. If you like what you already have, then great. You chose well, and keep enjoying it.

I drive a 1995 Isuzu. It's an orphan; they left the US market years ago. Parts are harder to come by. The mileage sucks, and I would like to get a new vehicle in the future, but it fits my current needs. I'm not complaining about all the rave reviews the new Jetta Sportswagon gets from media or my friends.

Advertising is a fact of modern life. Claiming to see through it is like bragging about dressing yourself.

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
Your 26 inch bike is as relevant as YOU want it to be. YOU are riding it, no one else. Personally, I have 2 x 26 inch bikes, and they are as good for me now as they were the day I finished building them. I have a lot of fun on them, enough for me to handle anyway, so why would I change and probably lose money? Over 25 years of 26" enjoyment is not going to be lightly swayed, certainly not by a large advertising company.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
A smile here because for this trip to the cabin I have we brought the 22 year old Fat Chance and 2014 model big wheel, slack, short stay low slung Honzo. My wife and I are same height. She likes the classic Fat Chance and I like the Honzo that's kind of what happens when a steam roller and dirt jumper make a baby.

A friend I ride with broke his classic 26" racer frame and after trying new bikes and getting a warranty replacement sold the new replacement and picked up the same old bike on eBay. I can't catch or keep up with him using my modern gear except for downhill and very rough stuff where that could just mean I'm dumber than he is.

Get what you like and what you can afford.

·
Registered
221 Posts
By executive action Obama mandates by 2019 trails will no longer accept 26" wheels and we all will need to move to the more efficient 29" or 27.5 whichever is around then, unless the first of the year falls on a Wednesday then there is a 3 year extension.

I'm just kidding if you have a 26" enjoy it if you need to buy an new bike your 26" options will be limited.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Rumor has it that in 2015 all 26" wheel bikes will be banned from trails, per executive order NP-26- RIP...

Ride what you have and just enjoy being out there. I have a 26" FS and 29" steel Rigid. I ride the 29er more, but I love both bikes. No desire to buy into the 27.5 hype at the moment, but who knows what the future holds...

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
The industry and folks on internet forums aren't riding your bike, nor are they paying for your new one if you decide to buy one.
I have a rigid, drop bar, 10 speed road bike that's 40 years old that I ride on trails. Take that Industry.

2012-09-03 13.12.50.jpg

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have fun on your bike?
Yep.

This thread was part serious, part tongue-in-cheek. I am sick of the hype. I see the day when they will stop making quality 26" rims and tires and I don't feel like being forced to buy a new frame for the want of a quality 26" wheel. All of the Big Boys no longer offer quality (and some no) 26" bikes.

End of rant. I have nothing against wheel sizes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
--they are as good for me now as they were the day I finished building them. --
I'm calling BS on your post right here. No one is EVER "finished" building their bike. Haha.

OP, I ride 26 exclusively on my mountain bikes (700c roadies not withstanding), and wouldn't have it any other way. There will always be a market for 26, just as there is still a market (however small) for 24 and 32 wheels. 29 seems to be here to stay, 27.5 maaayybe.

Pretty sure if the market does kill off every brand new 26 design, it will return in a few years time as the "new, lighter, faster handling" wheel size.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts