Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ridden North Star and Big Bear. North Star being far better. A group I know is planning a trip there and just wondering what kind of trails they have and if it is comparable to North Star or Big Bear.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
RickP said:
I've ridden North Star and Big Bear. North Star being far better. A group I know is planning a trip there and just wondering what kind of trails they have and if it is comparable to North Star or Big Bear.
I haven't ridden either, but I live up in mammoth and the downhill trails are super fun. They really just have three downhill trails, bullet, velocity, and chainsmoke. FYI they'r erunning norba nationals out here in september and reopening upper velocity for it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
How hot and dusty is it this time of year?

The weather page lists the temps in the mid to high 70's which can be pretty hot for riding during the day. Thanks.

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
There are some differences . . .

The most noted being, Mammoth Mt. owns the land the resort is on, MOST (not all, but most) resorts just lease the land from the forest service, so if you don't own the land, you can't make decisions about what areas are open, when they are open, and what kind of trails you can build.

In the case of Mammoth, they can do anything they want, because its their land. I have riden at Big Bear, and I found it to be "dual-crown downhill bike/full body armor" riding. Trail bikes are ok, but you'd have more fun on a downhill machine. Just my opinion.

I've skied at northstar, but not bikes, so I can't comment on that one. Mammoth is a blast, trails for everyone, stuff your grandmother could do on a comfort bike, trails that are fun on a trail bike and bommer downhill trails, it ain't the north shore, but I hear that they are puting in some stunt stuff.

It's the mountains, so if you don't like the weather, just hang out for about ten minutes, it will change!

Hot, cold, windy, cloudy at top and sunny at bottom, rain in the afternoon and everything in between.

Cheers, its a very fun place to ride.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
dumper said:
The weather page lists the temps in the mid to high 70's which can be pretty hot for riding during the day. Thanks.
Dude, the weather is so perfect, almost every single day. When it does get hot out (upper 70's-80's) that just means that a thunderstorm will roll in later in the afternoon...and those are the best times to ride...period.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i've ridden all 3. Northstar is my favorite. cool trails, lotsa forest, some jumps and boulder sections. Mammoth has a big mountain feel (it's where i usually ski). many of the upper mtn trails are loose pumice rock, sh*t you just sorta surf through but not the fast tight singletrack feeling you get at northstar. big bear has been damn hot the times i've been there, and the trails felt limited i.e. after a few runs i felt like i was doing the same couple of trails over and over. i live much closer to big bear, but do all my riding in Tahoe or Mammoth area.

mammoth has great weather...rarely too warm, in fact just recently it was around 60 degrees up high during the day. 11,000 feet elevation and killer views. I rode there yesterday and there was hardly anyone there. one of the best things about mammoth is the vertical drop you get if you ride off the top all the way down to town.

the weather forecasts you see for mammoth lakes are much warmer than the mountain itself, which is 4,000 feet higher. duh.

i usually use my bigger Intense 909 tires at mammoth. last weekend i used my kenda blue grooves, and they worked fine and were lighter for the pedalling sections. use tires that work well in loose gravel/pumice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts