Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fello MTB'ers,

I currently have a 2006 Trek EX9.5 and have put aproximtly 100 miles on the bike. The miles consist of 95% offroad. The bike was bought new 3 months ago as a left over that had never sold. What if any service is needed? My LBS charges 75 dollars for a tune up...I am having no issues with the bike.

Thanks for your help.

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
Keep the cassette and crankset CLEAN and free for dirt. Keep your chain clean and lubed. This will prolong their life. Other then that no maintance needed unless you get any sqeeks or shifting performance suffers. If you have discs you will eventually have to replace the pads. I went 2-3 years before I did, some replace them as often as every year depending on how much you ride. Most maintance stuff you can do on your own. $75 is crazy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow, I've got a 99 hardtail that has had 5 tune ups in it's entire life...
I do the routine stuff myself. Cheaper, Easier, more Timely, and I get the satisfaction of my ride being set up the way I want, by me... Plus if anything is out of sorts AT ALL, I'll know it.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
At 100 miles you're probably still breaking everything in. Maybe you'll need some readjustment of cable tension at this point due to cable/housing stretch...

ps Other than normal maintenance of your drivetrain (cleaning & lubing) like others have said...

·
Registered
275 Posts
id say that at 100miles, i would say its due for a tune, only because all your cables have settled and you could probably use a few other tweaks. but after the initial i would say that you could probably get away with home repair. stick around and watch them to get an idea of what needs to be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.