Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MTBR member-at-large
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is riding around Lake Chabot by yourself safe?

I visit the Bay Area every week, and thought about bringing the mtb bike to get in some riding after work. I work in San Leandro, and stay in Emeryville so I thought of checking out the Lake Chabot area since it is close, but I don't know much about this area other than what I can find on MTBR, so I have couple of questions about riding in the East Bay:

1) Is it safe to ride by myself mid week in the late afternoon/early evening?
2) Is there something better w/in the East Bay region that can offer 15-20 miles of intermediate trails?
3) What's the best bike shop in the Oakland area for service and tips on riding areas (I hope I don't open a can of worms with this one)?
4) Any Wednesday afternoon (after 4:30 pm) group rides in the EB?
5) What's the best post-ride eatery (personally, I like the Englander in San Leandro because of the beer choices, but the food is ho-hum)?

-Greg

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
1) I cannot guarantee your safety, but I do not hesitate to ride solo at Chabot, Redwood, Joaquin Miller, Tilden or Wildcat parks.

2) Joaquin Miller has a bit more of a challenge, but it's a small park so you'll have to do loops or continue into neighboring parks if you want 15-20 miles. It's easy to connect Chabot/Redwood/Joaquin Miller (and Dimond Canyon). There is some good stuff on Diablo too.

3) I dunno.

4) I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, and think they're sometimes posted here, but since I don't have time for group rides right now I've stopped paying attention.

5) I dunno.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Chabot is safe. Hell people even camp there!
There used to be group rides posted on here every week but not lately.

·
Golden Bears United
385 Posts
ThornPatch said:
1) Is it safe to ride by myself mid week in the late afternoon/early evening?

No. Part of it is located in Oakland - yes, THAT Oakland - so you'll sure to be mugged and maimed. The riders, campers, kids you hear about that ventured onto Chabot all pack heat. :rolleyes:

2) Is there something better w/in the East Bay region that can offer 15-20 miles of intermediate trails?

Maybe Tilden Park/Wildcat Canyon, Redwood Park, and Joaquin Miller Park, but they're all located in Oakland.

3) What's the best bike shop in the Oakland area for service and tips on riding areas (I hope I don't open a can of worms with this one)?

I had great experience at Wheels of Justice on Mountain Blvd in that sketchy area known as Montclair. Brave it at your own risk.

4) Any Wednesday afternoon (after 4:30 pm) group rides in the EB?

BTCEB used to have Wednesday rides at Chabot starting at 6, but has since moved it to Tuesdays (same time as the Cycle Path group ride.) They usually meet at the Police station.

5) What's the best post-ride eatery (personally, I like the Englander in San Leandro because of the beer choices, but the food is ho-hum)?

Don't know; others can chime in.

-Greg
:skep:

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I have been to Lake Chabot several times during business trips to San Leandro. What a snooze fest of a ride. Boring. No legal singletrack. It is all paved bike paths or fireroads. No technical value at all. I suppose its ok for an after work get out and spin the pedals session, but nothing very exciting.
Oh ya, be prepared to get glared at by nearly every pedestrian.:skep:

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
you are far more at risk driving to the trails than you are riding them.
Oh... look at for the angry fisherman at Chabot. He's been known to hook cyclists with a Hulapopper. He's got one hell of a cast!

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
I'm a female rider and ride solo at Chabot frequently. It's as safe as any other park. For fun & legal single track look for Red Tail and Soaring Hawk. Look for shoots off the trail too as there is singletrack that runs parallel to the fireroads. If you want help scouting out a loop let me know.

I prefer JMP over Chabot if you want real fun singletrack. It's a small park but you can get 15 miles in if you make several but different loops. I can help you out with a route there too. Chabot has a map online. It can be hard to find a good map of JMP.

Cyclepath & BTCEB have a ride at Chabot on Tuesdays (even months only) starting at 6PM.

·
Registered
660 Posts
msrutzie said:
I'm a female rider and ride solo at Chabot frequently. It's as safe as any other park. For fun & legal single track look for Red Tail and Soaring Hawk. Look for shoots off the trail too as there is singletrack that runs parallel to the fireroads. If you want help scouting out a loop let me know.
You can also ride the nice ST in Skyline, accessed by a short ride through a residential neighborhood adjacent to Chabot/Chabot Lake.

It can be hard to find a good map of JMP.
A very good map of JMP and Dimond is found here.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sounds like you've had your question answered, yes it is safe.
Also the local bike shops have weekly rides at Chabot.
I think Cyclepath has a Tues evening ride and Eden Cycles in CV has a Thurs evening ride.

There's also a group of us out there every Thurs at 6:30

·
MTBR member-at-large
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm heading out to JMP/Redwood this evening for an exploratory ride.

Also, thanks to BTCEB for the awesome website, and downloadable maps!

-Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts