Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know that in theory any ride is, but I run 32x22 on my 29er and I still push a lot. I'm heading up there this weekend and my geared bike is down until I get a new BB and brake pads (MCT in the rain & mud created some maintenance issues). My two buds will be on geared bikes, but they're both relatively patient, FWIW. Thx for the beta,
- Joe

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
It's doable, I did it last year with 34/18 (this was with a 24" rear - not sure what gear / inches). It wasn't too painful either, just a grind. You'll be fine.

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I've got parts coming FedEx from Jenson, but it's good to know the SS is a viable backup for the ride in case I run into problems.
- Joe

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Are you kidding, that'ss the besst SS ride on the front range!! ENJOY!! :thumbsup:

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great! I'll bring an appropriate brown ale along in your honor. Now I'm beginning to think I'll bring the SS even if I get the geared bike ready in time...
- Joe

scrublover said:
yep. another affirmative here. the last three times i've done it were SS, with a 32x20. (i'm a wussy spinner)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
a different breed

you SS folks have a unique definition of "fun"... :crazy: (freaks)

...me & my multitude-of-gears sure enjoyed this ride last weekend (despite the rain).

enjoy the trail! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
legs the size of tree trunks?

justarider said:
I've ridden from Kenosha to Georgia and back several times. 26 inch Spot, 34x18, no problems. Took me about 3 hours.
okay, forgive my SS naiveté, but do you guys walk/push any of that? while i've certainly done harder/steeper climbs, i was glad to have my 22 to drop down into even if pedaling on the high side of the cassette...

25 miles in 3 hours is clippin' along pretty good for 11,500 feet in my humble ride-for-fun-not-for-racing opinion. kudos to you and your ilk.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did it last month on my SS 29er. 32x21 3 hours or so is about right. I ave'd 6 mph on my SS, 6.3 mph on my geared bike last year. Yeah, I pushed some. Didn't make it quite to the top of Georgia due to the snow. I'm sure most of that's gone by now.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
gotdirt said:
okay, forgive my SS naiveté, but do you guys walk/push any of that? while i've certainly done harder/steeper climbs, i was glad to have my 22 to drop down into even if pedaling on the high side of the cassette...
Well in the pic "4 bikes 4 gears" above...we had to walk the snow drifts!! :D No, gotdirt, it really isn't that bad if you don't have the option. Also, when I did have gears, well I lived in the 22 on that ride!! :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.