Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a specialized hardrock comp frame for sale for $25. it has minor scratches but no dents, bends, etc. overall looks in pretty good condition.

also i found a rockshox quadra fork for $25, looks in decent shape.
or a rockshox jett fork for $30, looks in decent shape.

i'm pretty sure they are all older versions of course. Any inputs on this??

·
Registered
549 Posts
Eh...you might be better off buying a whole used bike.

$25 for the frame isn't too bad...not exactly a great deal or anything, unless its a pretty new model...make sure it fits you, though.

Both of the forks aren't very good...rather pogo stick-ish. Make sure the steerer tube is long enough (and the correct diameter) if you do buy one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That's gotta be an ancient frame. Mid 90's?
The only problem with older frames is that the current sizing standards have changed, and you'll be limited in your choices for replacement parts. Chances are the head-tube diameter is smaller than the current standard, so you'll have to stick with older-style forks, like those....uh...gems you've found there. You might be stuck with cantilever brakes too. Not a terrible situation if you're on a budget, but you'll be digging though parts bins if anything breaks.

Honestly, the Jett fork is worthless. I have one laying around that I'd give away, but it isn't worth the effort to install it. Terrible shock with no adjustability. I'd rather ride rigid.

Edit: I thought the whole bike was $25...which led me to believe it's older.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info guys. i have a diamondbak right now that i got a dicks sporting goods about 4 years ago. has only been riden a hand full of times though and is garage kept so it's still in good condition. i paid like $500 for it then i don't know the exact model though. so i'll probably just stick with that for time being and maybe slowly upgrade it until i have a completely new bike. that's what i did with my BMX bike and now it's a beast!

thanks again for the inputs guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.