Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to change my drvie chain on my bike to single speed. right now it has 32/22 T with a bashgurad, and the rear cassette is a sram PG-830,11/32T 8 speed. does any one have any advice on what size of front ring and rear gear i should get for a single speed setup to do FR? or is it worth all the hassle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Uhhh...

....first off this is the singlespeed forum, so we(almost*) always advocate in favor of "the change".
Second what kind of bike you have, where you ride and your overall fitness will determine your gearing.

*I'm guessing fr means freeride which I'm guessing doesn't mean you ride bikes
that cost nothing but that you have a big honkin fork (maybe a suspended rear)etc..

...uhh... that style of "big" riding might not work well for you with a one gear setup.

anyways cheers either way.:yesnod:

·
Axles of Evil
242 Posts
well, that depends

SS gearing is a subjective thing. Riding style, fitness, trails/terrain all mean diff gears to diff people. I usually tell people to start with the "two-up" rule. 32x18, 34x19, etc, you get the point. Two teeth higher on the rear cog from a 2:1 ratio. This will give you a good starting point. Again this may or may not work in your neck of the woods.

Keep tabs on what gear combo you spend the most time in. Pick up a cassette cog at the bike shop or online, close to or matching what gear your riding most. Definitely check the FAQ section at the top of the SS forum. It will help with your conversion. I hope this helps. Keep us posted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keepthemdead said:
....first off this is the singlespeed forum, so we(almost*) always advocate in favor of "the change".
Second what kind of bike you have, where you ride and your overall fitness will determine your gearing.

that cost nothing but that you have a big honkin fork (maybe a suspended rear)etc..

...uhh... that style of "big" riding might not work well for you with a one gear setup.

anyways cheers either way.:yesnod:
i didn't now what forum to put this in but i thought this would be the right place. any ways i have an 06 iron horse yakuza aniki. i ride on my farm in the bush were i got some wicked trails that lead to some sweet drops. so i pretty much do dirt jumps and drops with this bike. any other questions just ask.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Having had SS Dad say that, I'll now help you out (not) by contradicting him and saying that if all you're doing is riding shallow climbs, on the flat for DJ's or drops and there's not much steep climbing then 32:16 or 32:14 is probably better than 32:18.

For my money, I wouldn't go above 32:16 unless there were fairly substantial climbs involved.

Is it worth it?

As for gears v's SS, it is a bit like comparing apples with oranges. It's still fruit but it's a very different experience. SS will load up your knees more. You may find that you can't carry top speed as well as if you had access to an 11 tooth at the back, you may find that the climbs are a much bigger load (possibly even not do-able) after you've lost the access to 22:32.

But, you'll learn to push a bigger load without being lazy, you'll develop the ability to pedal a higher cadence, you'll discover the pleasure of being able to just coast and enjoy the high speed downhills, you'll learn to pump terrain and conserve momentum, brake less in the corners etc to keep your speed up.

Even better, your brainspace will be less clogged with gearing related issues. You probably have no realisation how much brain you allocate to changing of gears. Even once you go SS you mightn't notice it, but trust me, once you go back to a bike with gears you'll "get it" as to what it's all about when SSers talk about a clearer head space.

It mightn't be for you, it may turn out to be just what you need. No-one can tell you this but you.

Drew

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Tmi..

or not:p :p :p :p

Keepthemdead said:

anyways cheers either way
Keepthemdead must be having a bad day as in one sentence he said "so we(almost*) always advocate in favor of "the change"" and then he later says it may not be the thing for you.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Fullrange Drew said:
Having had SS Dad say that, I'll now help you out (not) by contradicting him and saying that if all you're doing is riding shallow climbs, on the flat for DJ's or drops and there's not much steep climbing then 32:16 or 32:14 is probably better than 32:18.

For my money, I wouldn't go above 32:16 unless there were fairly substantial climbs involved.

Is it worth it?

As for gears v's SS, it is a bit like comparing apples with oranges. It's still fruit but it's a very different experience. SS will load up your knees more. You may find that you can't carry top speed as well as if you had access to an 11 tooth at the back, you may find that the climbs are a much bigger load (possibly even not do-able) after you've lost the access to 22:32.

But, you'll learn to push a bigger load without being lazy, you'll develop the ability to pedal a higher cadence, you'll discover the pleasure of being able to just coast and enjoy the high speed downhills, you'll learn to pump terrain and conserve momentum, brake less in the corners etc to keep your speed up.

Even better, your brainspace will be less clogged with gearing related issues. You probably have no realisation how much brain you allocate to changing of gears. Even once you go SS you mightn't notice it, but trust me, once you go back to a bike with gears you'll "get it" as to what it's all about when SSers talk about a clearer head space.

It mightn't be for you, it may turn out to be just what you need. No-one can tell you this but you.

Drew
Perhaps TMI?

aprince said:
i want to change my drivetrain on my bike to single speed. Right now it has 32/22 T with a bashgurad, and the rear cassette is a sram PG-830,11/32T 8 speed. does any one have any advice on what size of front ring and rear gear i should get for a single speed setup to do FR? or is it worth all the hassle?
SS is always a good way to go. If you want to DH/FR with a SS so much the better. The first question is what's a good gear for you? Get on that beast and see what's the biggest gear you can run that gets you to the top? Then set your bike up accordingly (it's not rocket science baby). Readers Digest, you can switch out your crank using a single chain ring or a chain ring and your bash guard; you just need some shorter chainring bolts. As far as a rear cog, best to get a single BMX cog and some spacers. Your other issue is if you will need a tensioner. Checkout the FAQ, it addresses all these issues.

1G1G, Brad

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I just came in from back to back rides on my two SS mountain bikes as the three of us have been neglecting each other of late.

My Trek HT has a 32:16 gearing and I use this bike for winter riding, singletrack, and XC and it's rare that I have to get off and walk with this gearing. Since this bike has vertical dropouts I am currently using a tensioner but plan on fixing that since I don't like the "derailleur" that doesn't shift. :)

Keep in mind that I ride ALOT and am in pretty good shape.

My newest SS is an '87 Kuwahara Cascade which is a full rigid running a 38:16 gearing as this is my primary winter commuter and I need to get a little more road speed... with studded tires I can run just about as fast as I do in the summer. This bike also runs some skinnier 1.75 tires which have a lower rolling resistance and the front crank is a BIopace so pushing this higher gear feels almost as easy as the 32:16 on the Trek.

I started riding a singlespeed when I was 6, rode geared bikes for 34 years, and then went back to riding singlespeed and can't believe I waited so long.

I have experienced that freedom from having to think about gears when I'm riding, have improved my riding abilities, and love the connection to riding an SS brings.

I also have built an SS road bike and am building a fixed gear although there's still plenty room in my heart for the geared bikes I own.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a full suspension geared bike and a single speed hardtail. At first I thought I would just ride the ss around campus and on errands. Now I even ride it on certain trails. The geared bike has its place in the mountains, but nothing can match the ss when in the valleys and on the flats. Enjoy your new ss. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.