Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a 1997 Gary Fisher Paragon, which I bought new in 1998. The components are still the same ones as when I bought it, and now some of them are in need of replacement. I need a new drivetrain - the front derailluer is a little messed up and the rear one appears to be finally failing from a crash last year in which I bent the derailluer hanger (I was hoping that replacing that was all I needed). The brakes are close to being shot, and the front fork (Rock Shox Indy) is suffering from years of poor maintenance. Additionally, now that I pretty much only run semi-slicks, I would like gear ratios that complement them.

All of this adds up to a few hundred bucks that I would be spending on a 6-year old aluminum bike that does have a deep scratch/gouge in the frame from a racing crash many, many years ago. Is it worth it? Are new bikes that much better than what I have now? Would I be well served to get a new frame and scavenge the few components that are still fine from the old bike? Should I upgrade my bike now and then scavenge the components when and if the current frame fails?

Anyway, I look forward to some suggestions on how to handle this. I've been out of the biking scene for a few years and have been getting back into it, so I'm pretty clueless as to the new developments.

· Registered
301 Posts
Probably time to replace

I am not one to advocate getting rid of a bike because you can, however after 6+ years of riding an aluminum frame, it is probably time to buy a new one and retire the Fisher to commuter duty. I guess I must preface my comment of replacing your bike with a simple question, how much are you planning to spend? Once that question is answered I think many people can help guide you in the right direction. Just remember that people may tell you to buy a certain bike but if it doesn't work for you don't buy it just becuase everyone else loves it.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The question of how much to spend is a good one. In all likelyhood, I would be praying that everything holds up until the end of the summer and I would save up some more money to buy a new bike in the spring. I have a million things that I want to buy currently, not the least of which is a large shiny ring...

I'm getting a little too old for aluminum and want to stay with a hardtail. I'm not sure whether I would go with titanium or steel. If it were titanium, I think maybe a Dean Colonel or a Litespeed Pisgah? Steel? You got me, I have no idea where to start looking.

But I guess the point is that I could reasonably spend whatever I guess. I'm not married yet, so I better buy all the toys while the money is there...

· R.I.P. DogFriend
7,149 Posts
brian_b said:
I have a million things that I want to buy currently, not the least of which is a large shiny ring...

I think maybe a Dean Colonel or a Litespeed Pisgah?

But I guess the point is that I could reasonably spend whatever I guess. I'm not married yet, so I better buy all the toys while the money is there...
Have you ever seen the commercial where the guy in the gas station is filling up his family type car and telling the Harley riders that he recently considered buying a new Harley for $6,495.00 himself but went for the "killer dinette set" instead?

Birds Eye Maple looks great with a deep forest green, but then again, so does Walnut or Honduran Mahogany...

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeffj said:
Have you ever seen the commercial where the guy in the gas station is filling up his family type car and telling the Harley riders that he recently considered buying a new Harley for $6,495.00 himself but went for the "killer dinette set" instead?

Birds Eye Maple looks great with a deep forest green, but then again, so does Walnut or Honduran Mahogany...
haha, yes I do believe I have seen that commercial. Seriously though, if I were to buy everything I've ever dreamed of owning I would be poor, and I wouldn't get very good use out of what I own. I just don't want to waste money on a new bike if it is a better decision to upgrade the old one.

PS - I have seen a very nice bird's eye maple table, and it was absolutely stunning. A bit more than $6500 though.

· Registered
301 Posts
Okay some thoughts then...

I like steel, and I also like titanium but for the money steel is a better value. For not a lot of dough you can get a custom frame, that's right I said custom and its going to last probably to infinitum.

Some builders I like and others on the boards seem to like include in no particular order:
Walt Wehner
www.waltworks.com
Curtlo
www.curtlo.com
Seven
www.sevencycles.com
Independent Fabrications
www.ifbikes.com

But if you've got the dough and can go Ti then Titus, Independent Fabrications, and Seven all make some great bikes. From the base of a frame you can build it up from there and make it as nice as you'd like. If money is no object, then that is the route I'd go... but if you don't have the desire to wait etc, there are a LOT of nice hardtails out there. I personally don't know a lot about Litespeed so I won't make any comments regarding their work.

· Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used Dean Scout on the classifieds here for $500, brought it up to Dean and had it powder coated and restickered for $90. I now essentially have a new bike. A new, super sweet bike. If you can find a solid, not too beat used ti bike, do that. I switched from an Ibis Mojo. Great bike, but steel does wear out. The Dean is friggin butter smooth. There probably isn't too much you can salvage, parts-wise from your GF. So, you will have to be resourceful in your build up. But, it can be done for relatively cheaps.

Good luck and have fun building your bike.

Take your time and get what you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.