Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
finchy said:
just curious, i have one on my atomik
YES, very much so. Adding the platform damping to your Fox will make a HUGE difference. I had my RC done with the Race package (platform + additional valving) over a month ago and I'm still amazed every time I ride my bike. Go for it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
red5 said:
YES, very much so. Adding the platform damping to your Fox will make a HUGE difference. I had my RC done with the Race package (platform + additional valving) over a month ago and I'm still amazed every time I ride my bike. Go for it. :D
are you sure? what kind of better peformance should i expect over my stock vannila R? im not doubting ya, jus want a better explanation.
 

·
I've got a Stiffee
Joined
·
913 Posts
It's worth it for sure, even though I've had trouble with getting mine to perform well. I had them do my Vanilla RC on my BigHit a few weeks ago and it really packs up on high speed bumps. I live locally to PUSH, and Darren has been nothing but great and has tweaked the internals of the shock twice for me already. I took it out for another ride today after the latest tweaks, and it still isn't performing as well as the stock one....however it is much better and we are headed in the right direction. Great people to work with, and it has made climbing my 45lb rig much more manageable.
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
FXRob said:
I had them do my Vanilla RC on my BigHit a few weeks ago and it really packs up on high speed bumps.
FXRob:
WOW, that's interesting. It does feel different, but not what your describing. My stock RC used to pack really bad. Now it just sort of flows over the bumps. Weird, but I'm sure Darren will figure it out.

Master_Jako said:
are you sure? what kind of better peformance should i expect over my stock vannila R? im not doubting ya, jus want a better explanation.
Master_Jako:
You can expect better pedaling. Very little if any pedal bob. Smoother ride. Bike feels like it's just floating over the bumps, it's like their not even there anymore. Plus you can run a lower spring rate, which helps make the bike feel even better. I went from a 700 to a 600, Darren even told me I could go to a 550. PUSH is sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
red5 said:
FXRob:
WOW, that's interesting. It does feel different, but not what your describing. My stock RC used to pack really bad. Now it just sort of flows over the bumps. Weird, but I'm sure Darren will figure it out.
thats the thing, its like Avalanches or other shimmed type dampers (MX, etc.), they need to be tuned to the bike and spring rate. Shocks like the 5th put the tuning into the hands of the rider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
hmmm, i run a 500 spring and even though i only have 6.3inch in back, the rear is nice and plush.---i swear it feels like 8 inches and it doesnt like to bottom at all. my bighit is already floating over stuff, and i have no problem with major pedal bob. mabey if i get the new vannila rc or dh shock, it might be worth sending it in but for now, its not worth it. thnx for the suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Master_Jako said:
hmmm, i run a 500 spring and even though i only have 6.3inch in back, the rear is nice and plush.---i swear it feels like 8 inches and it doesnt like to bottom at all. my bighit is already floating over stuff, and i have no problem with major pedal bob. mabey if i get the new vannila rc or dh shock, it might be worth sending it in but for now, its not worth it. thnx for the suggestions.
hhhmmm. im gonna guess you feel that way because you have never actually ridden the stuff thats better. i thought my vanilla r was fine and dandy but then when i got the 5th i really noticed what i was missing out on. but i always knew my dirtjumper was crap for what i really wanted to do.
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
Master_Jako said:
hmmm, i run a 500 spring and even though i only have 6.3inch in back, the rear is nice and plush.---i swear it feels like 8 inches and it doesnt like to bottom at all. my bighit is already floating over stuff, and i have no problem with major pedal bob. mabey if i get the new vannila rc or dh shock, it might be worth sending it in but for now, its not worth it. thnx for the suggestions.
I know what your saying, I wasn't sure it would make a difference in my RC. But trust me when I tell you I was wrong. I used to think my RC was great and floated over things. Now I realize how much difference there actually is and what people mean when they say that about a stable platform shock. I agree if you upgrade to the Big Link with RC, get the PUSH.

One thing that took some adjustment for me was climbing. Too me the original RC made it easier to climb because it bobbed. Before I could preload and use the bob up to help me spring my bike forward. But now that I've adjusted, it's not a problem. However, pedaling across flats or DH is much better without all the bob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,669 Posts
im curious...

how much can push really do to a vanilla R seems as it doesnt even have and exterior resevoir...coz if its a big enough difference and big enough improvement then ill get EV and AL to get theres pushed on there stinkys...
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
BJ- said:
im curious...

how much can push really do to a vanilla R seems as it doesnt even have and exterior resevoir...coz if its a big enough difference and big enough improvement then ill get EV and AL to get theres pushed on there stinkys...
Well since the platform damping is the biggest change that makes a difference and it can be done to the R I'd say that's it. The res. changes might help a bit more with oil flow throught the shock, making it react better at speed over bumps, but I'm not sure exactly. So I'd say it's worth upgrading the R just for the platform damping, since that's what the real upgrade is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,355 Posts
BJ- said:
im curious...

how much can push really do to a vanilla R seems as it doesnt even have and exterior resevoir...coz if its a big enough difference and big enough improvement then ill get EV and AL to get theres pushed on there stinkys...
I had my vanilla R Pushed and the difference is night and day. Vanilla R's have very little compression damping and Push can only do so much for that. But what they do helps a lot. After you have your Vanilla R pushed, you will wonder how you ever rode with the stock Vanilla-R.

Here is my FSR with a Pushed Vanilla R - the bike is set up for XC use at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Well I still don't know what to do.

zedro said:
thats the thing, its like Avalanches or other shimmed type dampers (MX, etc.), they need to be tuned to the bike and spring rate. Shocks like the 5th put the tuning into the hands of the rider.
From your comment Zedro, it was sound like a 5th or swinger will let you adjust to what you want, where as a Pushed shock will be set up specificaly for your bike, weight, riding style, and weight (no messing with the setting). Is the ability to adjust stuff worth the price for the other shocks?

What to do, what to do with my birthday money?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
well, i have ridden freind's bighit's and there is a great differance between a vannila r and a 5th element or a manitou. feels better. but, my rear tracks well enough that it doesnt feel all that differant. even my friends joke about the entry vannila r, but still says it fells damn good for what it is. and again, its not worth pushing a vannila r. ill save my money and do it to my next new fox shock when i get it with a big link.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,297 Posts
I had my RC pushed and it is sooo much better. When you first stand on the bike and bounce it, it feels a bit harsh. The plain ole Vanilla was very squishy. But when you start riding it is much plusher when it needs to be. The biggest benefit that I see is the increase in control. The rear tire is glued to the ground. I noticed this control on climbs, downhills, and even on drops.

Get it pushed. It's a much better value than buying an entirely new shock and then realizing that the new shock ain't so great. I've done that twice. This is the first time I thought the money was well spent.
 

·
I've got a Stiffee
Joined
·
913 Posts
red5 said:
FXRob:
WOW, that's interesting. It does feel different, but not what your describing. My stock RC used to pack really bad. Now it just sort of flows over the bumps. Weird, but I'm sure Darren will figure it out.

We are going in the right direction, but it is still packing up on high speed bumps/rock gardens. Thank god I live locally, because Darren has already changed things in my shock twice now. Called him up this morning to tell him it still doesn't feel good at speed, and he wants to ride my bike himself to feel what I'm describing. I'm sure he'll see for himself why I've brought it back a few times now.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top