Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into riding after taking roughly 10 years off. Don't have much to spend due to adulting and looking to pick up a used SC as I've been in love since owning a chameleon many moons ago. So back to my question. Is a good condition 07 Nomad worth $1000 CAD? Looks like there's a couple upgrades (dropper post) but not much. Fox forks have been recently resealed but the fox rear has not so I imagine it'll need a rebuild. XT components. Also I've never ridden a Nomad. I'm a bit bigger at 250lb looking to do all mountain riding.
Thanks for the advice :)

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
A bike is better than no bike and your budget restricts you to models from about this time period if you want full suspension. Just be aware that standards have changed drastically in the past twelve years: the bike isn’t going to ride like modern bikes and replacement parts will be increasingly hard to come by and in some cases relegated to the used market.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Would it be worth it to buy a 12 year old high end mountain bike, absolutely.

Is it worth a thousand dollars? Hell no. Start at half that.

A $1000 used hardtail with the right geometry would be more fun for me than a 2007 anything.

·
Registered
875 Posts
That price seems pretty crazy especially if it will likely need work. Bicycle blue book has the value for something in good condition at significantly less. In my experience they are usually too high compared to what price stuff actually sells at.

I would say if you are on a tight budget, look for something like a slightly newer hardtail or even save more for something like this. https://www.commencalusa.com/Mobile/meta-ht-am-origin-2019-c2x26304818

I think buying something very outdated just because it has more "features" is a mistake and potential money pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I'd take the Nomad over any hardtail. Provided you get it at a decent price and it's in good nick.
Put wide bars on it and rip. 67 degree head angle, add a dropper, convert to 1x if you're fit enough and you're away and laughing.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'd take the Nomad over any hardtail. Provided you get it at a decent price and it's in good nick.
I agree with this but the fact that they are asking 1000 and it has a 12 year old shock in need of service makes me think this particular bike is a bad value. Do the tires need replacing? Is it tubeless compatible?

An old bike can still be heaps of fun, but so much has also changed that a newer bike with less bells and whistles could prove a better overall experience.

Eg. Choosing between a 2007 bmw with a 6 cd changer in the trunk and dvd player in the roof vs a modern civic with an aux cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.