Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
PokeyOne
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Enduro 29 has newer Lyrik with lower offset and a offset bushing in the shock.

Drivetrain is now Eagle, and suspension has been tuned a bit. Wheels are freshly rebuilt and seatpost was serviced too.

The bike does get it done very well, and it is currently running very well..

Is it time to buy a new frame with the latest 2020 geometry and maybe some extra stiffness?

It's going to be a pretty big chunk of money, even with some recoup from selling the old frame.
Is the latest generation of geometry better enough to warrant the expense?

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
2015 Enduro 29 has newer Lyrik with lower offset and a offset bushing in the shock.

Drivetrain is now Eagle, and suspension has been tuned a bit. Wheels are freshly rebuilt and seatpost was serviced too.

Is it time to buy a new frame with the latest 2020 geometry and maybe some extra stiffness?

It's going to be a pretty big chunk of money, even with some recoup from selling the old frame.
Short answer: No. Do it only if the upgrade bug bites you bad enough and you've fallen for slick marketing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Yes. My dad has a 2015 Enduro S-works and I wouldn’t race that bike now if you paid me. Newer bikes are so much more planted, with the long, low, slack thing, and they also pedal better. My riding is night and day more confident on my current bike, compared to when I would jump on his bike because mine was out of commission.

But don’t go and get a 2018/2019 Enduro, because then you’ll end up with a whole new set of problems.

·
PokeyOne
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time to start Demo-ing I suspect.

I have been following the (always rehashed) Best Tahoe Bike thread because the ride profile fits me (and about 98% of the rest of us)

Holy Ravioli!!!
The cost of kit I am interested in is starting to skyrocket!
Latest frame, Eagle X01, solid suspension and carbon wheelset ~ $8000 :(

If I get a second job so I can afford a new bike, I won't have any time to ride it.

·
Registered
my hair crawled away
542 Posts
"modern" geometry?

how much riding per week?
miles /elevation
Do you race?

Do you know what is "modern" geometry?

·
PokeyOne
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A frame would be a good idea, as all the rest of my current rig is new.

So... Who beat everyone to the punch with new geometry?

Is there a 29er frame that is a couple years old that I can score a deal on, that is considered modern geometry?

Norco?
Transition?

The Hightower LT seemed to be the benchmark, but that was tweaked a bit for the MegaTower revision.

I have not looked much at the European bikes.

Orbea?
Comencal?
Cube?

·
Registered
595 Posts
You might not like modern geometry. Try before you buy. Myself, I am not a fan of crazy long trail bikes that have pedal strikes all the time and don’t turn if you don’t lean the bike over in the corners.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was thinking the same thing last weekend as my 2015 Stumpjumper carbon evo blahblah looks 6" shorter than the new scott genius when it was in the back of the truck. It was a little shocking, my buddy who came off a similar Stumpy said it took some getting used to but he is a gifted rider and seems to be tearing it up.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
I was thinking the same thing last weekend as my 2015 Stumpjumper carbon evo blahblah looks 6" shorter than the new scott genius when it was in the back of the truck. It was a little shocking, my buddy who came off a similar Stumpy said it took some getting used to but he is a gifted rider and seems to be tearing it up.
Six inches shorter?? Dayummmmmmm.

Crazy huh? I like the new geometries and components for sure like 1x and droppers. They're version 3.0 of mountain bikes as our 1.0 bikes were basically converted road bikes.

Much safer, more fun, but you might be longing for more rowdy, aggressive terrain to challenge yourself and the bike, especially if you get a lot of suspension travel.

So I tell folks, if you're happy with what you're riding now, and riding a lot and progressing, stick with what you have. But if you're bike-curious, try the new stuff. It's not a marketing scam as the new bikes are really good.

Specialized Enduro releasing today is a prime example.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'm on a 2013 Giant Anthem Advanced X 29. I increased the fork travel to 120, which reduced the head tube to 70°, and converted to 1x. Works great.

For me, it takes about 5 to 7 years before I can really notice solid improvements in bike tech.

The 2019 Pivot Mach 4 SL with Fox Live Valve is amazing. Everything is easier. The relaxed head tube angle makes time stand still during descents compared to my Anthem.

Demo some bikes. Lots of great choices.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A couple of months ago I upgraded my 2015 Ibis HD3 to a 2019 Yeti SB130 LR. With about 300 miles on my new ride at this point, I can confidently say that the Yeti is a strictly better bike for me.

Even though the Yeti has less travel, I can ride more confidently ride down gnarlier tracks than I ever could on my Ibis. It also pedals uphill better, corners better and gives up little (if anything) in terms of maneuverability. I'm riding more, and progressing faster as a rider.

My experience is mostly specific to the SB130, but I expect that you're experience would be similar with many of the new models. 10/10 would recommend upgrading. Not a marketing gimmick.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.