Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had mixed replies from different bike mechanics: some say it is time to replace the chain as well as cassette with it too, while others say that my XT CM-M770 is just fine for now.
What's your take on it? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It shows some wear, but I doubt anyone will be able to advise you about when to replace it. You will know when it needs to be replaced. It will slip when you put a new chain on it. If it doesn't slip with a new chain, shifts good, and there are no bent teeth, I would continue to use it. They generally last a long time if you replace the chain before it gets too stretched.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Agreed, from what I can see there is some wear on the cassette, but nothing major that would indicate replacement. Just replace the chain and see how things go. As rlouder noted, if it skips under pedaling pressure then you'll need to replace the cassette as well. If not then you are good to go. I can usually go through 3 or 4 chains before I need to replace the cassette on my bikes. It just depends on how well you maintain your drive train, the conditions you ride in, and how far gone you let your chains get before you replace them.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your response, to both of you!
So it's a good idea to just go ahead and replace the chain for now? (And not jointly with the cassette.)
Squash, I have had this bike for a couple of seasons and put on it about 3000 miles (mixed light off-road and road) without replacing anything in the drivetrain.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Discoveryellow said:
Thanks for your response, to both of you!
So it's a good idea to just go ahead and replace the chain for now? (And not jointly with the cassette.)
Squash, I have had this bike for a couple of seasons and put on it about 3000 miles (mixed light off-road and road) without replacing anything in the drivetrain.
Measure your chain pin to pin with a tape measure
-12" is a new chain
-12 1/16" is time to replace chain
-12 1/8" probably need to replace cassette too
->12 1/8" your fuct, replace the entire drivetrain
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
rlouder said:
It shows some wear, but I doubt anyone will be able to advise you about when to replace it. You will know when it needs to be replaced. It will slip when you put a new chain on it. If it doesn't slip with a new chain, shifts good, and there are no bent teeth, I would continue to use it. They generally last a long time if you replace the chain before it gets too stretched.
+1, replace no cassette before it's time.

You'll know because the chain will skip. Until then why replace something that's working?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good specific info! Thanks.
I am not confident with my measurements accuracy using the regular tape, especially as to 1/16" precision.
For now, I am going to order a new chain and just see how it works out. It is under $30 fix.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've replaced my HG-93 chain with a new one, and went for a ride.

It was pretty bad, the chain skipped often. I was not sure if its cassette or derailleurs so I tried adjusting the shifter for the rear derailleur. It made things worse, but eventually made it tolerable and did a short 10k ride.

Currently awaiting for a new cassette. Will report later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.