Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, which is a hybrid 29er. This bike with 700 x 38tires has been used exclusively for commuting up until this summer where I have taken it on some single track trails and gravel roads. Riding this bike on trails and gravel roads beats the heck out of me. First and foremost the RST Neon fork with 60mm of travel does not seem to absorb bumps whatsoever and the 700 x 38 tires grip well but lack air volume to further exasperate the pounding. Since the frame fits me well, would it be worth it to buy an 80mm Rockshox Dart 3 fork and 29 x 2.0 tires for this bike or should I sell it and buy a 29er mountain bike? Both the new fork and the tires will cost about $250.00 and a new 29er HT mountain bike will be in the upwards of $900.00. I’m not 100% sure if the 29 x 2.0 tires will fit in back of the frame but it looks very close. Lastly, will the new fork and the larger volume tires really absorb the bumps and big hits much better than what I have right now? Note; that I ride the same single track trails and gravel roads on my 2009 Epic dual suspension 26er so maybe a top of the line 29er HT would beat me up as well.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sounds like you're justified in purchasing a new 29er. Since you have a dually 26'er and a Hybrid, maybe it's time for a 29'er Singlespeed which you'll be able to pick up for way less than $900. Throw slicks on the hybrid and keep it on the street where it belongs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 1st thing is tire pressure. Just because 50-60 psi works great to commute doesn't equates well for gravel and fire roads. Try lowering down to 25-35psi depending on your weight. This should make a big difference. Next would be higher volume tires and these are many to choose from that are higher volume than 38c. Try some cyclocross tires at 45-47c, these at lower pressure can still run quite fast. There's also a deal on Karma 29 x 1.9 Tire at Tree Fort Bikes for $29.99.

If you go the HT route, there are plenty to choose from that are more than good enough for fire roads and gravel that are much less than $900.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Crosstrail came with 700 x 45 tires, which are hanging on my garage wall. I will try my off road ride with these fatter tire this weekend. I weigh 200 pounds so I will start with 45 psi and adjust down on the trail if needed.

I test rode a Specialized Rockhopper 29er a few weeks ago but the cock pit felt a little too stretched out compared to my Crosstrail. So it seems like my Crosstrail can match the ability of the Rockhopper 29er if I change out the fork and tires with more mountain specific ones.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Try out those 45's, but use their lowest recommended psi.

And second, if the cockpit on the Crosstail fits you, then look up it's geometry to find the TT( top tube) length and then use that figure to compare other frame sizes with on the internet. Then when you go bike shopping, you'll know what frames sizes to look for first and see how well they fit you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts