Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchase a new GF Tass, after many years with a Spec. Hardrock. It feels like I've died and gone to heaven. But there are a few little quirks that I'm still getting used to. One involves stabilizing the bike while standing or parking. The front wheel turns and rolls away so fast it's scary. Whether the bike is leaning against me while something else requires my attention, or I try to lean it againt a wall or post, it will not stay put. It's ended up on the ground a few times before I knew what happened.
Is this a function of the headset? Should the action be a little stiffer while standing?

·
Registered
337 Posts
losten up the stem a bit, and tighten the headset screw on top a bit. Then tighen the stem back up. This should put a little more preload on the headset bearings and make it less losse.

Your old bike prolly had a threaded headset and was tighter. The threadless headset is nice and loose and makes for a better setup. I love the looseness of the threadless set.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh...

elistan said:
losten up the stem a bit, and tighten the headset screw on top a bit. Then tighen the stem back up. This should put a little more preload on the headset bearings and make it less losse.

Your old bike prolly had a threaded headset and was tighter. The threadless headset is nice and loose and makes for a better setup. I love the looseness of the threadless set.

Thanks Eliston. I'll give it a try.

·
2,548 Posts
algae said:
I recently purchase a new GF Tass, after many years with a Spec. Hardrock. It feels like I've died and gone to heaven. But there are a few little quirks that I'm still getting used to. One involves stabilizing the bike while standing or parking. The front wheel turns and rolls away so fast it's scary. Whether the bike is leaning against me while something else requires my attention, or I try to lean it againt a wall or post, it will not stay put. It's ended up on the ground a few times before I knew what happened.
Is this a function of the headset? Should the action be a little stiffer while standing?
Ummmm, as long as there's no "play" in the headset, it's normal - the steerer is supposed to turn freely in the headset - perhaps you were overly used to a headset that was too tight/too dirty on your old rig.....just my "too centsless"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts