Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I did 2 local races, both times in sport vet category.

Both races I came second and both races I was also the only singlespeed racer (also the only rigid racer too but that's by-the-by).

With the new race season coming up soon I'm wondering if I should move up to expert vet class.

Does the trade off of 1 gear and no suspension compensate for staying in the sport class or am I sandbagging?

If I had won the races last year then I would say for sure I'm sandbagging but I didn't (I was the first loser).

The races are short (no more than 9km laps) and experts race 4 laps, so there is a "sprint" element to them where I do lose out a little not being able to change gear.

Opinions??

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
You're obviously ready to upgrade voluntarily to Expert after finishing 2nd in Sport twice on a rigid SS.

It "should" be mandatory.

If you have a choice, it's: Big Fish in Little Pond (wimpy) or Go For It (manly)

Not to mention give those of us who are slower on our dualies a shot, eh?

·
Soft AND Tender
143 Posts
As a self-proclaimed expert in the fine art of sandbagging, you sir, are sandbagging! :D

SS or not you should move up and give it a shot. If you find you are out of your league jump back down.

I assume you are only racing for fun, right? So you place a little lower in expert than in sport. Chances are the better riders in expert are going to push you that much harder and make you faster in the process!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.