Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought this Truvativ Noir Race carbon bars and then found this dent on it. It seems that previous owner overtightened his brake lever clamp or rotated it while tightened.
Do you think it is safe to ride it or not?

Attachments

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
I would probably ride them. But it depends on how that scratch feels to the touch.

If they fail, you will at least have one hand still holding on. So the crash shouldnt be as bad as say a stem or steer tube failing.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
41,442 Posts
What is the average weight savings from a lighter aluminum bar to a carbon bar?
It's. Not all about the weight savings. Carbon has dampening quality's far superior to aluminum. You get close to zero vibration which makes for a less fatigueing ride
Plus they look Btching.;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
If it's a scratch in the outer resin it's probably fine. If it's from a burr which indented the material then it will be a stress riser causing failure.

I know carbon is expensive, but an endo resulting in ER visit and/or broken bones (or worse) is expensive too. Not to mention the pain.

I'd turn them into art and buy a new bar.

Good luck.

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
I just pulled my carbon bars off and went back to aluminum. I noticed some scratches from using tie downs when hauling my bike in the back of my truck and I'm not willing to take the chance of a failure for saving a 100 grams, or whatever perceived vibration thing.

For me, it's it's not just a safety thing, it's "Mental". I can't help constantly watching the bars and worrying about them breaking and that takes some fun away from the ride. Although they probably are just fine and I'm just an old/paranoid phart, I won't use carbon bars anymore.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Just me but, I don't believe it's safe or advisable to ride any component with a visible defect that could compromise the integrity of said component.

Just me though and I'm a sissy la-la!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.