Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be a elite is it possible for a someone to be a very awsome rider, if he or she has the strenght and power of say 5'8 185-190 all musle with crazy stamina and cardio to be a elite racer?

B-Ray
"When those legs are hurtin It Is What It Is"

·
Registered
163 Posts
with a 5'8" frame and 180 or 190 pounds of muscle, i doubt it simply because to develop that kind of extreme muscle mass one must go headlong into strength training. in cycling it's much more important to have lean, efficient muscle rather than powerful muscle that exhausts itself quickly. you could have all the cardio fitness in the world and your lungs may hold up in a 3 hour ride, but your muscles will fill up with delicious lactic acid and you'll be put-putting along.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jonwebah said:
with a 5'8" frame and 180 or 190 pounds of muscle, i doubt it simply because to develop that kind of extreme muscle mass one must go headlong into strength training. in cycling it's much more important to have lean, efficient muscle rather than powerful muscle that exhausts itself quickly. you could have all the cardio fitness in the world and your lungs may hold up in a 3 hour ride, but your muscles will fill up with delicious lactic acid and you'll be put-putting along.
Thats interesting seeing that it would seem if u had the power and the cardio u would be able to handle the lactid acid and akeep a sustained pace aswell just my 2 cents.

It Is What It Is

B-Ray

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DaFireMedic said:
Is your bike done yet????
No i wish it was talked to Mark last night and he told me that he was having a hard time putting on my sram 9.0 front derailer on. I have to look for a different type i might have to go with a xtr dont really want to.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Isn't on of Turner's Pro XC riders...

jonwebah said:
... About 215lbs? Sorry I cant rememebr the name but I rememebr hering it in a discussion about Turner's new XC Dualie on the Turner forum here.

I dont see why a bigger person/ride couldn't be an elite racer- they're not all thin and skinny... They just have muscles in the right places. Lactate tolorance training would be the order of the day me thinks.

·
almost there!
341 Posts
Absolutely, it is possible...

...one of the Tour de France riders is over 200 lbs, although he didn't make it to the end but he did complete around 5 stages, I don't have his name or all the exact details right now but I'm confident it's possible.

It takes years of training though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
AJ541 said:
Magnus Backstedt made it to stage 11 of this years Tour de France, he weighs 217 lbs and he was 6' 3" tall.

http://www.tdfblog.com/magnus_backstedt/
yeah, he was 217 pounds on a 6'3" frame. i watched every stage of the race and he was highlighted in one breakaway and it was clear that he was no muscle-bound man. he looked like a cyclist -- lean, but muscular. he was also the heaviest tour de france rider ever.

i doubt you'd find a pro cyclist of a hight of 5'8" that's over 170 pounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.