Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Let's fly!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like Ergon grips. Am considering switching to Grip Shift, but am not confident I can use my Ergon grips with Grip Shift. The Ergons are clamp-on style and the Grip Shift is "Jaws" technology. I'm not clear from the web site if Ergons would work on Grip Shift. Would it be pretty straightforward to remove the non-shift part of each Grip Shift and replace the grips?

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
This^^^ yeah and the regular ones are too long and would put your brake lever reach way out (well there's no clamp on the inside end so you could cut shorter but....) plus not big enough in diameter to match up with the end of the twist grip. ESI Super Chunkies match up the best.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ergon makes short grips for grips shift, at least they used to. any lock on grip works fine the the current gripshifters--the "jaws" thing comes right off and normal grips work. I use ODI Rouges with my XX1 shifters.

·
Let's fly!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the Ergon GX1 grips. I really like the support for the meat of my hand. I do longer XC racing (50-75 miles) and had trouble with wrist pain until switching to Ergons with the platform wing thing.

I purchased my GX1s from a friend who didn't like them. When I went out to the garage to figure out what model so I could respond to the question above, I noticed they look like they've been cut shorter. They are 4.5" (115mm) long. I'm not sure if that is standard.

Is there any connection between the shifter part of the Grip Shift and the stationary grip? Or are they two separate pieces?

I don't know much about Grip Shift. I tried a fellow racer's bike with them, liked them, and then my X9 pod shifters started malfunctioning (left side misses the middle click sometimes so the chain goes from the big ring over the middle to the granny without stopping in the middle; ride side returns slowly after shifting one gear larger in the rear and doesn't return at all after shifting two gears larger at the same time). I replaced the cables and it had no effect. I took the right one apart to clean and lube; lots of intricate parts and springs in there! I got it back together, but it is still slow-to-no return. I'm currently shifting and then pulling it back manually.

Grip Shift seems simpler and less likely to fail.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Here goes

I have the Ergon GX1 grips. I really like the support for the meat of my hand. I do longer XC racing (50-75 miles) and had trouble with wrist pain until switching to Ergons with the platform wing thing.

I purchased my GX1s from a friend who didn't like them. When I went out to the garage to figure out what model so I could respond to the question above, I noticed they look like they've been cut shorter. They are 4.5" (115mm) long. I'm not sure if that is standard.

Is there any connection between the shifter part of the Grip Shift and the stationary grip? Or are they two separate pieces?

I don't know much about Grip Shift. I tried a fellow racer's bike with them, liked them

Grip Shift seems simpler and less likely to fail.
You didn't mention if you have 9 or 10 speed. No interface connections with the 9 spd models, 10 spd yes, as they are twist snap in and flush out with the same diameter grip shift portion and taper down towards the end to a standard grip.

-Mine are 9 spd shown matched up with GS1 models and ESI Chunky foam grips.

-No connection with XO grip shift using individual standard or SRAM grips. Typically (varies with hand size) grips are cut to ~3.5-4"(90-100mm) so along with the grip shift portion they match up with about the same overall length of a trigger shift/regular grip setup.

-Personally I'm finding them annoying with the dissimilar diameter size but only running temporary until I decide to either get the rest of the parts for a 1x10 setup or can spring for a partial XO1 group.

Line Monochrome Artwork Black-and-white Still life photography
Product Technology Cable Office equipment Office supplies
Office equipment Cable Machine Wire Home appliance
Cable Wire Office supplies Peripheral Stationery
Electronic device Technology Computer accessory Laptop accessory Input device
Audio equipment Technology Audio accessory Gadget Peripheral

·
Let's fly!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running 3x10.

I'm not clear on "twist snap in" -- does that mean the tube for the shifter part is attached to the tube for the stationary part? I don't understand how the shifter could shift if attached to the stationary part, but I haven't looked at a Grip Shift up close.

The mismatch grip diameters in the pics would be a showstopper for me. I will get another set of pod shifters if that is the result of going Grip Shift. But it sounds like the 10 speed version resolves that issue. Correct?

I'm not sure how to understand "No connection with XO grip shift using individual standard or SRAM grips" in light of "twist snap in" . Is the "no connection" statement for the 9 speed version?

Can I run Ergon GX1s with 3x10 XO Grip Shift? Very much appreciate the help, just want to be sure I'm clear on any constraints or drawbacks before spending the $$$.

Thanks!

·
Let's fly!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found this:
ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

It says "Compatible with all Gripshift models such as the SRAM XX and XX1 models". I wish it listed XO!

Really, though, I'd rather save the $$$ and use the grips I own. Am willing to cut them down if necessary, so mostly the issue is with the interface. If there is a connection between the Grip Shift and the grip tubes.

·
Let's fly!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh! Another critical question -- my current XO derailleurs are 2011 models. They don't say "Exact Actuation". Is the cable pull of 2012/2013 Grip Shift the same as the 2011 derailleurs?

·
@2whlfun
542 Posts
There is no connection between the grip shifters and whatever grip you use. Feel free to modify your current grips to your liking. All your parts should be compatible Grip Shift/SRAM uses a 1-1 cable pull ratio and Shimano uses a 2-1 cable pull ratio. MRX grip shifters are 2-1 for Simano. Avoid anything that says MRX and you should be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.