Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This should be an easy one for someone to answer. I have done some searching and did not find an answer. I have decided to get a Rohloff for my bike, and am considering taking a chance on a used one to save some money. I don't have any Rohloff experience, but am an engineer and have some Alfine experience. So the question is if I find a hub with solid axle, is it possible to exchange it for a QR axle(which is what I want)?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would prefer to have a bolt on Rohloff vs. the QR version, but there is no practical way to change the IGH over.
Thanks for the answers guys, so there is no way to change the axle type.

vikb: Curious why you would prefer the bolt on version vs. the QR version. The frame this would go on has sliding dropouts and I have the Rohloff slider for the non-drive side if that matters.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Thanks for the answers guys, so there is no way to change the axle type.

vikb: Curious why you would prefer the bolt on version vs. the QR version. The frame this would go on has sliding dropouts and I have the Rohloff slider for the non-drive side if that matters.

Thanks,
Mark
A bolt on axle works better with horizontal dropouts and works fine with vertical dropouts. I rarely remove my wheel so the extra tool and few seconds a bolt on axle takes has no negative impact on me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts