Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have what I think is a 2013, 26" Specialized S-Works Epic with the brain system. Since Specialized no longer supports or sells parts for the brain I am forced to replace it. I ordered a Rockshox Monarch RL, but I have tried all the mounting kits for the shock, but they don't seem to work. The 16mm bushing seems to be the best bet, but it doesn't actually fit in the frame mount. I am using the original bushing on the air can side. I have also gotten the 14mm, but it seems to have a big gap on either side, maybe a little less than 1mm on each.

I measured the fit with digital calipers and it comes out to 15.7mm, so it is just a little bit smaller than the 16mm. I can't find a 15.7mm kit however, so I think my only option is to sand the bushing down to fit.

Basically my question is, "Is it okay to sand down the sides of the bushing in order to fit it, or will it cause problems for the bike?" The bushing seems to be aluminum.

I can post pictures if you need.

This is the kit

The thread that I have been following

TL;DR: is it okay to sand down a bushing on the sides in order to fit it into a frame.

EDIT: Maybe I should just use this? It is mounting hardware from Fox, so I don't know if it is compatible or not.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Depending on how you go about it, it might be tricky getting a flat perpendicular end. If you have access to a drill press that you could chuck it up in, you might spin it against a flat file laid flat on the table. Of course a lathe or milling machine would be much better.

With none of those, I'd fixture it in a vice and use a flat file by hand.

·
Plays with tools
4,650 Posts
It's something you could have a local machinist make for a pretty reasonable price. If you do it by hand, it's not going to be round or square and that could cause issues. It's something that would take 15 minutes on a lathe to make, if you're in BendOR, I could do it for some beer.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,939 Posts
fwiw, the pieces you are talking about are called reducer pins. bushings are the metal sleeves in the eyelets of the shock that the reducer pins rotate in..

as far as the 15.7mm reducer kit from fox, as long as your current hardware uses an 8mm bolt in that location, i see no reason why it shouldn't work. to me, it looks like exactly what you need...

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
Yes. The Fox IGUS DU bushings (in the 5 piece kits) are relatively easy to file and modify with a round & flat file. I've been using them with Fox, Rock Shox, and Cane Creek shocks. All shocks seem to use slightly different eyelet sizes and pin widths, but they can be made to work.

fwiw, the pieces you are talking about are called reducer pins. bushings are the metal sleeves in the eyelets of the shock that the reducer pins rotate in..

as far as the 15.7mm reducer kit from fox, as long as your current hardware uses an 8mm bolt in that location, i see no reason why it shouldn't work. to me, it looks like exactly what you need...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.