Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm a 13 year old beginner who wants to get into urban freeride/dirt jumping and narrowed my searches to the giant stp. I want to get SS but i read things about it being bad because of the vertical dropouts. Will the dropouts really effect anything? The bike will have the chain tensioner of coarse.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
i would say not to let vertical dropouts spoil you on the bike, the stp is an awesome ride and if you can get to a shop and test one out i would say go for it, plenty of people use chain tensioners

·
Registered
87 Posts
Vertical dropouts are not the ideal set up for SSing but will work just fine. I have vert drops on my bike and ran a tensioner for some time. I got tired of the tensioner and experiemented with different chain ring and cog sizes until I found a combo that fit without the tensioner. 26" wheels with a 36/18 gear set up. Using a regular single speed chain with one half-link inserted. Fits perfectly. If you're buying complete from a shop, ask them to work with you to find a good set up and get what you want as part of your purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.