Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im new at mtb training, been doing a month loads of intervals and long weekends riding. was wondering if taking a week of the bike is a good idea or stick to it some more? if ok then should i just take time of or do cross training as well?

many thanks

·
SSOD
826 Posts
It really depends on a lot of things but generally no. I assume your taking 7 consecutive days off. 3 is about the most I will take completely off the bike and that's rare. Just too many variables to give you an answer. But then again, depending on what your goals and training schedule is, I could see scenario's where you could get away with it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Under the right circumstances, yes it's ok. You weren't too clear in your post but you should schedule a week for recovery every now and then. This doesn't necessarily mean completely off, but you shouldn't do intervals every day for months on end.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Almost everyone will take a week off during the season.. It is called "getting sick". Pros, amateurs etc all get sick. Flu, chest colds etc all require an athlete to back off from training. It is better to rest and recover 100% than to push it and end up wasting 2-3 weeks of time while your body fights and fights to get well during forced training.

I would recommend that you "save" your week off for when you really need it sort of thing to maximize your fitness.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
If you have to take a week off, for other commitments, or sickness, you are not going to lose any fitness, so no worries there.

However, if you are developing a training plan, taking 7 days off the bike is atypical for many people. As mentioned, a "recovery week" often fits great in a training plan, but that does not usually mean stepping away from the bike for 7 days. It usually means, some easier, fun rides, possibly mixed with some light cross training, instead of structured rides.

·
Registered
482 Posts
3-5 days off the bike would be the best thing you could do, but thats just me

think about what time of year it is (winter)

come july when your over trained and burnt out you'll be forced to take a couple days or weeks off, seen it before and it's not pretty, oct is a long long ways away

1 - 6 of 6 Posts