Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just picked up a (ahem) cheap pair of Kenda Kwest 26x1.5 tires from (ahem) Supergo.

The max PSI stamped on them is 65 PSI. It is my understanding that narrow road tires are usually inflated to a much higher pressure. My current 26x2.1 Michelins have a max of 65 PSI..

Anyway, my question is, would it be safe to overinflate these tire to say 75-80 PSI, or would I be risking serious injury to myself and little furry animals?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
irieite said:
I've just picked up a (ahem) cheap pair of Kenda Kwest 26x1.5 tires from (ahem) Supergo.

The max PSI stamped on them is 65 PSI. It is my understanding that narrow road tires are usually inflated to a much higher pressure. My current 26x2.1 Michelins have a max of 65 PSI..

Anyway, my question is, would it be safe to overinflate these tire to say 75-80 PSI, or would I be risking serious injury to myself and little furry animals?
It's probably safe to go a little over the max rated pressure, but why chance it?

I've been told that car tires are designed to handle twice the rated pressure for safety purposes. I don't know what the design criteria is for mtb tires. The individule tire and rim type / mfg would have a big effect on your chances of success.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue Shorts said:
It's probably safe to go a little over the max rated pressure, but why chance it?

I've been told that car tires are designed to handle twice the rated pressure for safety purposes. I don't know what the design criteria is for mtb tires. The individule tire and rim type / mfg would have a big effect on your chances of success.
My intention was to reduce rolling resistance, but 5-10 psi probably won't make a noticeable difference anyway.. The quality of these cheap tires don't really inspire a great deal of confidence.

I was really just looking to see if someone had maybe tried it with this particular tire. I probably should have titled the thread differently.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The primary consideration in recommended....

irieite said:

tire pressures from the manufacturer is the ability of the bead to hold on the rim. Over pressurization of the tire can cause the tire bead to push off the rim and cause a blow out. Wire beaded tires are less prone to this than a kevlar or aramid bead, but it can still happen. And of course there is the quality of manufacture variable as well. For the most part 5 or 10 psi over recommended PROBABLY won't be a problem. But it will most likely affect the ride quality and the durablility of the tire. If these are really cheap tires (kenda makes some really good quality tires, but they do produce cheapos to) I would recommend staying within the manufacturers recommended PSI range just to be on the safe side. Ain't no fun and can be rather hazardous to have a tire roll off the rim while riding. And the rather loud bang of the tube blowing usually causes heart palpatations in the rider and in some cases coronary arrest in by standers! :)

Good Dirt

·
nachos rule!
390 Posts
i've been running quests on my crappy weather commuter for a couple of years now. they are actually very good tires, just inexpensive. i air them up to 70 rear, 65 front. i do this for one reason only, i'm lazy and only air them up every week or two. at the end of this time period they are down to a nice cushy 55 psi, then we repeat the process.

then only issue i've had with these tires was that they were a bit sketchy on wet pavement when they were brand new, once they got scuffed up a bit they settled down nicely.

shiggy is right regarding the ride being compromised at higher pressures. it's certainly a bit harsh at 70, much plusher down at 55. i put up with the harshness for the first day or two just because, as mentioned before, i'm lazy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree with what supercorsa said, except I'm 10psi lower (wimp). These tires have been great on the road/bikepath - smoother and better cornering grip than the Conti T&C's they replaced. Easy, non-tech, dry dirt paths are no problem either. Try them out in the 55-65 range before pushing 80.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.