Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on converting my tires to tubeless, either with Stan's kit or ghetto tubeless with Stan's sealant. I noticed that WTB tires are not listed as recomended on Notubes.com. I have also read post were people have stated that WTB and a few other brands have weaker beads and are not good to convert. Has anyone here had any problems using WTB Moto-Raptors with either Stan's kit or ghetto style?

Tim

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I was running WTB folding bead Exiwolf for quite a while with a ghetto tubeless setup, no problems at all.

26" split tube with Stans sealant on 29'er American Classic rims.

R.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've been running an old Velociraptor ft on my bike for 3 mos ghetto and homemade brew. No probs until I rode with the psi too low...tire rolled off the rim. :madman: Still riding it...and checking the psi. :rolleyes: I probably need to add some tape under the split tube as the tire fits rather loose on my rim. The sidewalls did weep for a few days but without any noticable loss of pressure.

Mikey

·
Registered
816 Posts
I've been running Mutanoraptors for a year or so with no problems. I'm using the Stan's tubeless conversion kit and Stan's goo. I was a little worried about them not being listed on Stan's site, but they've worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I JUST finished converting my front tire (MotoRaptor on Sun SOS wheels) to ghetto tubeless using a 20" BMX tube and Stan's sealant. Worked like a charm with very few leaks. I am going to ride the fron wheel tubless for a few rides and if it hold I will then convert the rear.

·
Registered
816 Posts
dan0 said:
dont know about working or not but WTB voids the warranty on tires that have sealant used in them
I didn't even know there WAS a warranty on tires!

I know some people are worried about the sealant causing the tire to deteriorate. I can say that my Mutanoraptors have gone their full tread life and, when I replace them, I can't see any evidence of deterioration. So I'm not worried about it.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
agoura_biker said:
I didn't even know there WAS a warranty on tires!

I know some people are worried about the sealant causing the tire to deteriorate. I can say that my Mutanoraptors have gone their full tread life and, when I replace them, I can't see any evidence of deterioration. So I'm not worried about it.
I didnt either untill someone in these forums pointed it out , I allready had put stans in my weirwolves by then, I ended up taking it out because of burping issues but I havent seen any damage

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Tim Mailloux said:
I am planning on converting my tires to tubeless, either with Stan's kit or ghetto tubeless with Stan's sealant. I noticed that WTB tires are not listed as recomended on Notubes.com. I have also read post were people have stated that WTB and a few other brands have weaker beads and are not good to convert. Has anyone here had any problems using WTB Moto-Raptors with either Stan's kit or ghetto style?

Tim
I asked the NoTubes.com forum as WTB used to be listed as "Not Recommended". NoTubes said they are now ok with them (referring to the bead strength).

P

·
Registered
816 Posts
Mr.P said:
I asked the NoTubes.com forum as WTB used to be listed as "Not Recommended". NoTubes said they are now ok with them (referring to the bead strength).

P
That's good to know. Having them "not recommended" didn't stop me from using them, but I guess now I feel more legit :D

·
Sign Killa
73 Posts
I've run several ghetto Weirwolves and mutano raptors. The raptors sealed up fine, but I almost always had issues with slowly losing air on the Weirwolves. No issues with bead strength though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.