Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a new 2 piece crank set and external BB on my 68mm shell bike. Just as the instructions said I put two spacers on the drive side and one on the non drive side. After installation was complete I had about 1/2 - 1mm of horizontal play in the crank.
It is very minimal but Id like it to be rock solid. First of all is this a normal occurrence for after market cranks or did I do something wrong or not properly finish the job? If it is just that the BB isnt wide enough is it ok to add another 2.5mm spacer? If so which side do I add it to?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
No. You won't be able to add another 2.5 mm spacer between the cups and frame. The spindle wont be long enough. What kind of crankset do you have? Some thinner spacers may have been provided, or you do not have the crank bolt torqued down all the way. Should be pretty damn tight.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. You won't be able to add another 2.5 mm spacer between the cups and frame. The spindle wont be long enough. What kind of crankset do you have? Some thinner spacers may have been provided, or you do not have the crank bolt torqued down all the way. Should be pretty damn tight.
I have a race face dues that only came with crank arms, BB, BB spacer, and pedal washers and nothing else

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
There should be no play. RaceFace stuff goes together trouble free. The torque on that crank bolt is going be 61 NM if it is the same as other race face offerings. That is hella tight and you probably are not there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts