Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that are making it so hard to change a flat?

I've got Sun Rhyno Lite Rims and Panaracer Fire XC Pros. The bead on the tires will not go all the way on without a tire lever. I've seen the guys at the LBS changing tires all the time and they just work the tire on the rims with their hands. I can't get that to work. So...I use the tire lever, but tonight I ended up pinching the tube and was back to square one, with one less tube in my inventory. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I start working the bead on on the side opposite the valve, and release all the air from the tube, but the damn thing is just too tight to work on with my hands.

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
It's the rim.

Yes Rhyno Lites are awful to get tyres on and off. They don't have a decent centre recess to push the bead into. For this reason I'll never ride another one. It chews up tyres, tubes and patience completely unnecessarily.

·
Unshaven Yak
503 Posts
Rhyno's are real hard on tire irons!

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Max99 said:
that are making it so hard to change a flat?

I've got Sun Rhyno Lite Rims and Panaracer Fire XC Pros. The bead on the tires will not go all the way on without a tire lever. I've seen the guys at the LBS changing tires all the time and they just work the tire on the rims with their hands. I can't get that to work. So...I use the tire lever, but tonight I ended up pinching the tube and was back to square one, with one less tube in my inventory. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I start working the bead on on the side opposite the valve, and release all the air from the tube, but the damn thing is just too tight to work on with my hands.
Proper technique helps, too. http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp
As, yes, Rhyno Lites are infamous for being hard to mount and remove tires.

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
Hey Shiggy.

It's not rim related, but a while back you suggested some Nokian NBX's for my local greasy and rocky conditions.
I tried one on the front of a mates bike and it was great. Easily the best tyre I've ridden on that hill in greasy conditions.

Now, how many mail order houses do you know that sell them?
Chain Reaction has them for 15 pounds, but the freight to NZ is 30 pounds !

·
uofabill
213 Posts
Ditto on the the rim problem,

I just switched to Rhynolites and they truly are a ***** to mount tires on.
Some brands of tires are worse than others. Michelins are essentially impossible. I now have some Conti Explorer Protections on and they were easier.
I would try using dish soap and water when mounting your tires, or spray the bead with Armorall. That will help some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts