Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what I'm asking as the title says. I will be flying up to the LT100 Race from the Caribbean and this would be a great opportunity to purchase a new bike. I am really keen on the 29ers now for lots of reasons, my height and 29er bike sizes being top. I am looking at the Niner R.I.P 9 and was thinking of just ordering the frame, fork and wheels& tyres and take up the rest of the components of my current ride - full XT group.

Is this really so madd, if I get the bike in the first few days I'm up there and then have 1.5-2 weeks on it shouldn't that be enough time? I don't know if I'm madd but I'm reading all the stuff on these bikes and all I keep hearing is climbs great, descends great and isn't that what LT100 is all about anyways? Discriptions seem to be right along the lines of my current ride just a bit more travel and bigger wheels.

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
No more than breaking in a new pair of boots on K2. Take a bike you are familiar with. Tune the hell outta it, just before you go, but take an old familiar friend. You'll need it.

·
hipneck
108 Posts
not familiar with LT 100..

but if I were in your shoes I would ask around and see how many people will be taking their 29ers and see if you would be able to arrange a test ride on as many 29ers as possible.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
With enough riding, 2 weeks is plenty of time to dial in and get accustomed to a new ride (especially if you're bringing over the bars, pedals, and saddle from your Trance). If you're racing to win then the ride you're very familiar with may be best, but if you're there to compete and have fun, might as well get the new ride.

Ant
(not a racer)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys :thumbsup: I didn't think it would be a stretch to give it a try, sadly though I think that with how the geometry is on the 29er I think I would end up with prob a 90mm stem over the normal 120mm I currently run on my XL Trance so I may end up having to play around a bit on fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.