Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
And He was Not
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this bike for my 40th birthday, 3 years ago. After doing a 33 mile ride today at one of my local trails. I still must say that this is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden,and I have ridden alot of different bikes. I know, I know, everyone says the new stuff is great. But I don't need 5 inches of travel, 4 has been fine. I've logged WAY over 3000 miles on this thing with the original bushings, and still have no problems. I love my XCE, with the coils on it.It is just so balanced. I hope it never dies. Thanks Turner for a great bike. Does any one else feel this way?
 

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
How dare you! So you think you are better than the rest of us just because we feel we have to upgrade every 6 months :)

Truly though, for the first time in my mountain biking life, I am at a point where I finally have bike(s) that I can see myself with for a long, long time. That is a very sweet bike you have there.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
I feel so dirty. I have a confession to make: I'm selling my XCE. It's ok, it's going to a good home, still in Alaska. EndoRando agreed to take it in and treat is like any Turner should be treated; he will beat it like a rented stepchild as often as possible, but in a loving way ;) .

I still have the Spot and the Pack. The Spot is still my favorite though I stacked on it huge today. I think it got caught on film. We'll see...
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
tscheezy said:
I feel so dirty. I have a confession to make: I'm selling my XCE. It's ok, it's going to a good home, still in Alaska. EndoRando agreed to take it in and treat is like any Turner should be treated; he will beat it like a rented stepchild as often as possible, but in a loving way ;) .

I still have the Spot and the Pack. The Spot is still my favorite though I stacked on it huge today. I think it got caught on film. We'll see...
so is that coin from that sale (1) paying for already made purchases or (2) going to something new (e.g., a 2001/2002 Truth)?
 

·
And He was Not
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FoShizzle said:
How dare you! So you think you are better than the rest of us just because we feel we have to upgrade every 6 months :)

Truly though, for the first time in my mountain biking life, I am at a point where I finally have bike(s) that I can see myself with for a long, long time. That is a very sweet bike you have there.
Ah Dude, Aren't you getting ready to "Pull The Trigger" on a new S/S ? :rolleyes:

That's cool, I've been riding the daylights out of my S/S. I guess that is what made todays ride on my XCE so special. Gears and suspension are cool, especially after a steady diet of the abuse S/S does to my body. :)
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Enoch said:
Ah Dude, Aren't you getting ready to "Pull The Trigger" on a new S/S ? :rolleyes:

That's cool, I've been riding the daylights out of my S/S. I guess that is what made todays ride on my XCE so special. Gears and suspension are cool, especially after a steady diet of the abuse S/S does to my body. :)
yes sir....I actually ordered it already. I truly feel this time that I have the bike stable set for good. I will be down to bikes I will actually use (trailbike and SS), and want to use. My phase of XC bikes and 7"+ travel bikes are gone.

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
My XCE........

My XCE is the only Mountain Bike I've ever kept for more than one year as my main Mountain Bike. I've had hardtails that migrated into Singlespeeds and stuck around for a few years as a spring/fall/winter bike. But only the XCE has been a mainstay coming up on three years now. I dream of Fluxes and Spots and my mind is almost made up to pull the trigger and then I ride the XCE, or even just go visit it in the garage and then I just can't do it. The perfect blend of balance, traction, plushness, fit. I just have a had time convincing myself anything could be better!

So yeah I know exactly how you feel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
nice cranks

That's a very nice looking bike. I've got the same Raceface cranks on my Kona and I love 'em. Kind of industrial-retro style that goes well on my disc-less, rigid, baby puke Kona.

I'm very happy with my Turner and can't really imagine replacing it unless it finally can't handle all the crashes I put it through.

I'm promising myslef that I'll never have more than two bikes... famous last words probably. After my loans are paid off I'll probably end up with a stable full.

Cheers,

Duncan
 

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
I hear ya Enoch

I have a medium that I've ridden hard since '99. It's burly and dependable, but very adept at trail riding, always giving me satisfaction. Even though I made a mistake and bought a frame a touch too small for me, the quality of ride has kept me on it never-the-less. It's always impressed me at how tough it is, taking some nasty crashes, breaking some components here and there while getting scratched up, but still runs straight and has no dents. The beefy tubeset, generous gussets, machined BB/shock mount, and bushings have all added up to reliability that's always given me confidence that it could take whatever I could dish out.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a large to take its place, and now that the cat is out of the bag, yes, I'm soon to receive Tscheezy's XCE. I hope to get as many years of satisfaction out of it as my medium has given.

It's been a really versatile bike too. It's been as well suited for our local rooty hilly singletrack as it was for two trips to Moab/Fruita. I even built a custom suitcase for dissassembling and airline traveling with it. I'm missing it already, but looking forward to riding a better fitting frame at the same time.

I've always called it my "All day all rounder." Mine has even seen different versions depending on my moods; coil/coil for plushness or air/air for that sporty feel. I've never had a problem towing a Bob trailer with it to fishing spots, or finessing with it trying to ride logs. It's a really tough one to top without owning a quiver of purpose-specific bikes.

Randy
 

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top