Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new IBEX Trophy Comp X7 last week - is it just me - but the 2007 SRAM x7's are amazing. :D My previous exp. is a year and a half with XT's -- not even close -- example, no chain suck! Any tips on maintenance would be appreciated.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Sram does take Shimano to the woodshed in terms of performance, though Shimano stuff is a bit "tighter" (better manufacturing precision at a given price point).

Maintenance? Replace your cables and housing annually....

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
babyface said:
Got my new IBEX Trophy Comp X7 last week - is it just me - but the 2007 SRAM x7's are amazing. :D My previous exp. is a year and a half with XT's -- not even close -- example, no chain suck! Any tips on maintenance would be appreciated.
It's last years X.9, that's why. :D

Love my X.0.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the tips - kudos to SteveUK for the links to his detailed maintenance guide. I have definitely changed my approach with the WD40.
Don't want to open the can - but I also forgot to say that I am a fan of the SRAM thumbs-only design - ergonomically it just feels better. Maybe, it's just different - if I go back to Shimano a year from now - it might feel better.:confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
tscheezy said:
Sram does take Shimano to the woodshed in terms of performance, though Shimano stuff is a bit "tighter" (better manufacturing precision at a given price point).
Then why does shimano have a floating upper pulley on the rear der and sram is fixed.(side to side I mean)

I am not too biased for either company. They both have good and bad things. Either way they both have talented engineers and designers, and have come up with some great ideas.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,983 Posts
after all the years of running Shiitmano, i HAD to have the new SRAM triggers when they came out -- my dislike of twisties was the only thing keeping me away from SRAM before. 2 years on X.7, no problems, no breakdowns -- my new bike is running X.9. just a tiny touch better so far, don't be afraid of the X.7's "economy" pricing -- it'll beat the shiitake out of Shiitmano.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I have the XT trigger shifters and one of the nice things I like about them is that I can use thumbs only or thumb and fore finger to shift - completely different to the Deore's I got stock on my Trance, the bottom lever is quite a bit longer. I have them setup about 6.5" inboard from the end of the bars. I can shift and brake very easily with these XT triggers.

babyface said:
.............Don't want to open the can - but I also forgot to say that I am a fan of the SRAM thumbs-only design - ergonomically it just feels better. Maybe, it's just different - if I go back to Shimano a year from now - it might feel better.:confused:

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
robdamanii said:
Hey Jake, what's that nifty little pulley you've got on your X.0 there?
The pulley wheels are an old set by the name Carmichael..I'd bought them 4yrs ago from Nashbar for my old Xt a few years back and never got around to installing em..Ran across em a few months and a friend of mine machined them to work (cmc so the XO dust covers fit) on my XO..When these wear out, back to stock :madman:

Jake

Attachments

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I've seen that video posted several times. It looks to me that while the shimano deraillier moves more, the chain moves less, so I m not sure which would be worse. I have had xt & xtrs since the 80s and they have allways been reliable for me. and contrary to what the sram site says the shimanos xtrs are lighter than the x0, not much but a little

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
awesome thread guys. I recently had my 05 fuel ex9 at the bike shop cause my dumbass put the new brake pads in upside down and the guy mentioned that my xt rear der is on its way out because there is an excessive amount of play in it.

I saw hella srams online but didnt know anything about em ... now after this thread imma probably get an x7 to replace my xt cause ive been running xt all my life and they are good but expensive.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
never mind .... just found out that for "precise compatiablity" you gotta use em WITH sram shifters ... and im not about to buy new shifters too.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Jake Pay said:
The pulley wheels are an old set by the name Carmichael..I'd bought them 4yrs ago from Nashbar for my old Xt a few years back and never got around to installing em..Ran across em a few months and a friend of mine machined them to work (cmc so the XO dust covers fit) on my XO..When these wear out, back to stock :madman:

Jake
Just my take, I love SRAM, btu more so that is a great photo Jake Pay

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shimano v. SRAM vid

dan0 said:
I've seen that video posted several times. It looks to me that while the shimano deraillier moves more, the chain moves less, so I m not sure which would be worse...
That's a good observation. I know that with my X7's there is no chain slap - my old XT's had that problem big time. I wonder if it's a function of chain length and type of chain as well? I liked the fact that there was less up & down movement with the SRAM - thinking it would reduce the amount of fatigue with the components.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting SRAM video, and I'm know that SRAM makes great stuff, but I have to ask, is the video actually showing us a problem with Shimano R derailers ?.

I've used SRAM 9 speed twisters on my Bent as well as Shimano XT 8 spd. RapidFire for 10 years on a Proflex, 9 spd. RapidFire on my Stumpy FS which now has XT Dual Control.

Maybe I'm missing something from the video, but I've never experienced problems with my Shimano drivetrains that wasn't solved by replacing cables and housings - I.E. the usual gummed up stuff. I don't have chain skipping over the cassette, which is what I would think the video would be indicating as a problem, nor do I have chainsuck, which is generally worn teeth on a chainwheel as well as an elongated (worn) chain.

So what exactly is SRAM claiming is is the problem ?.

FWIW, I spent 3 long days on my new Dual Control levers and love them. As an STI user, they are very natural to use and I love the fact that I don't have to reach for a finger trigger OR a thumb pusher. They just work very well for me.

SB

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
babyface said:
That's a good observation. I know that with my X7's there is no chain slap - my old XT's had that problem big time. I wonder if it's a function of chain length and type of chain as well? I liked the fact that there was less up & down movement with the SRAM - thinking it would reduce the amount of fatigue with the components.
I know the springs on the xtr are stronger than xt my enduro gets the deraillier slapping the chainstay with xt and not xtr, but , in that video it looks like the sram is more prone to chain slap, less deraillier slap

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lighting Guy said:
Interesting SRAM video, and I'm know that SRAM makes great stuff, but I have to ask, is the video actually showing us a problem with Shimano R derailers ?.
SB
I think your take on the video is exactly what they were attempting to show - the differences in the two components in a similar environment - not necessarily good or bad - but just different. Everyone draws their own conclusions. btw - do you have a pic of your STI's?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.