Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find it's a lot harder to get a 29er HT airborne??

Not saying it's impossible, but I was riding a local trail that has a few fun dirt jumps. I rode it on my 29er the other day for shens, and while the bike got off the ground, I felt it took a lot more effort to get it to leave earth's gravity and stay up longer. Granted the bike is heavier than my 26er SS bike that I normally ride the jumpy's with, but the whole riding position on my karate monkey makes me feel like it's just harder to get off the ground?

Am I alone with this feeling? Is there something in the geometry/wheels size that inherently makes it a little harder to launch? Or is it just me/not being used to it?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I did fly just as far, but it didn't feel like it?? I felt I rode the trail just as fast as I did on my SS 26er.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I have no problem whatsoever in getting air on either of my 29ers (a Niner SIR and a WFO9). In fact, I took the SIR9 to Northstar once and was clearing the tabletop jumps on Livewire just fine. So I'd guess it has more to do with the setup of your Karate Monkey than any limitations of the big wheels.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not too sure about your experience. I have only ridden one 29" HT, a 2012 Specialized Sworks. My experience over 30 miles of riding was just the opposite from yours. Keeping the bike down so I could hammer it was the problem. I was doubling whoops I have never doubled. So much so that I doubled one leading into a corner and couldn't slow down enough for the corner.

Of course the Sworks HT is 19lbs....;)

·
Professional Crastinator
6,635 Posts
Bars might be too low? You lose a little bunny hop leverage compared to a 26er, but you might only lose "launchability" on very small jumps (smaller than the wheel) with a 29er.

-F

·
Registered
273 Posts
Take measurements from your jumpfriendly bike and compare them to the cocpit on your 29'er. That's a start, then compare the overall geometries between the two frames and look for reasons why or why not one would be easier to get air with.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good theroys. I'm going to try a comparison again. However, thinking about it, my SS is only 22.4lbs as is, and my Karate Monkey is surely over 30lbs. or darn near it. I'm thinking the weight may have something to do with it. I'm considering wider bars for the bike too, which may help some.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the same thing. My 26 inch Safire (women's version of a Stumpjumper) is a trail bike with geometry that puts me more upright. I jump easily on this bike. My 29 inch hard tail Stumpy has race geometry. I'm more stretched out over the bars. Maybe this is why I don't jump as easily on the 29er.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Been said soooo many times, I'll say it again.

It is the rider, not the bike!

That was 2007, now they have two 29er frames of their own! :thumbsup:

Full story.

disclaimer: only words here are mine, photos and story by mikesee.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.