Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time buying a bike... hopefully my tax returns show up within the next few days and I can start riding.

Was just wondering, would I look like an ass and get laughed out the door if I went into the shop and tried haggling the price down on a bike by like 5-10%?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I wouldn't say so. I've gotten around 10% off the last few bikes I've purchased. Also unless there is a 2014 model you have to have, ask if they have any new 2013 or 2012 models left. You may be able to get a great deal on a new, older bike.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Haggling on a bike has become pretty much standard practice these days and 10% seems to be fair on a bike that is at retail. If it is already marked down then asking for another 10% may not happen.

I don't ask for discounts on parts but if I was buying a lot of parts at one time then I might.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
It's fine for the most part, but the bike shop may not be able to drop the price for you on the bike. Some bike manufacturers have a set price where the bike shop isn't allowed to sell below MSRP on current year bikes, if the shop carries one of those brands you're out of luck on the bike, but you should be able to work something out on any accessories you buy.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
For many bike manufacturers there is a msrp and a price the shop puts on a new bike that is 5% higher. So you can get 5% off without too much difficulty.
Then during short promotion periods the shop may be able to offer an additional 10% discount, possibly more for some brands. They can also give you 20%+ off on other components and accessories connected with the bike. And they can give you deals if you want to swap out an oem component for one you prefer. Larger bike discounts come later in the year. Cash can get you 3% off possibly.
You generally should negotiate with a manager at a volume dealer for your brand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've bought a bunch of stuff at my lbs lately and they asked if I was new to the area or used to buy at another shop. I told them been here for years and Jenson was my go to. After some chatting the parts guys gave me his card and said give him a shout before buying online to see what he can do.

I consistently get about 20% off components now. He would rather sell a lot of stuff to me at small profit instead of a couple sales at a mid profit. Just ask what they can do for you. Can't hurt.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,422 Posts
Different shops have different policies. Ask, but don't presume you'll get anything out of it. Nothing will get you stuck with the full asking price like an entitled attitude.

Some will haggle on the price of the bike. Others won't budge if you only buy one bike, but will work with you on accessories, or if you buy multiple bikes, or whatever. Some offer discounts to members of certain bike clubs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't tell 'em how much you have to spend, tell them how much you're willing to pay. After looking around, checking fit, etc., make an offer on a bike. If they don't go for it, or at least make a counter-offer, you'll know pretty quick where you stand. It's easier to stand firm on your offer price if you're willing to walk away, and try a different bike or bike shop. It helps if you offer an educated, realistic price, rather than some pie-in-the-sky, low-ball insult. A lot of LBS will have their close-out and previous year models listed on their web site, often with the "discounted", close-out price. That's a good place to start. I would expect at least 20% off for last year's model.
Don't show your lust, no matter how much you want it. Don't bargain in front of your girlfriend. Maybe, ask her to go look at t-shirts while you talk turkey, and have them throw the t-shirt in the deal, as well.
The trick is to do all that without being a dick.

·
Registered
349 Posts
How you haggle is more important than doing so.

"You have any wiggle room on this? I like it and I'm serious about buying it, but it's between this and model "X" over at that other place and it's down to price at this point".

Doesn't insult the guy, but lets him know two important things:

1. You're serious and comparing options, also looking for a deal.

2. Your money will likely walk out the door and go to someone else if there's no deal.

From a salesman's perspective, these are called "switches", which means he's lost the power of convincing you/investing in a single model, and also lost leverage since you're willing to go somewhere else if HE doesn't meet your terms, not the other way around.

It's the best and sometimes only way to coax a dealer out of his price. And, if he doesn't budge, it's a good sign he can't or there's no dealing with him on anything.

In which case, take your money and go somewhere else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts