Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After six weeks of riding my new KM I snapped my chain today
cranking up a short climb. Its a shimano 'IG' chain. I fixed it and finished the ride but
was paranoid I was going to apply to much pressure and hurt myself again.
I am sure i have read lots of stuff here about running a BMX chain and they are a 1/3 of the price. Is there anything wrong with this?

Gumby

·
Registered
9 Posts
You Have To Um A Bmx Chain

Hey i just switched to a single speed due to too many problems with gears and a full suspension bike. Go to GOATBIKE.com and look at the HATE CAKE it is perfect. you need to ren a 22 tooth sprocket in the front and you must select a rear that will work but you can double up on the sprocket in the front and put two cogs of the same tooth on the rear and the you can run the Kink style Xlarge chain. I brsted five chains last year on my RM7 and have not had a singel problem with the HAT
E CAKE / Kink set up

·
bon vivant
156 Posts
I run a 1/8 inch bmx chain with my road cog, but I use an sram pc59 3/32 chain in the dirt. I feel quite safe, even as a hardcore clydesdale masher.
I broke my last shi-mano chain, and didn't go back. I like the sram 's power link too much to go back to shimano.

G

·
Try the KMC z610. It's a 3/32 chain, but very beefy. I've run one on my bike for at least 6 months. I checked it the other day and it has not stretched at all.

·
AussieLostInNyc
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up...

I will check out sram options as they got the most kudos.
Donkekus; as pretty as those colourful chains are they will
just stick out too much on my nice drab KM.. :D
Of course the black might be cool........

Gumby

·
Derailleurs owned: 0
354 Posts
match chain to cog/chainring

[email protected] PC-59/PC-89/PC-99 etc. are 9-speed chains. They are too narrow for nice wide single speed cogs (or freewheels) and chainrings.

1/8" chains may rub against bashguard.

PC-58/PC-68 are 8-speed (3/32")... for nice combo, use with Chris K!ng Kog (stainless steel) and Blackspire (7075) chainring.

C Jones

1 - 13 of 13 Posts