Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my deal: Im running a pushed Vanilla on my Heckler and love its performance but feel I may be using it for more than its intended purposes.Would like to move it to my XC rig ( hate the float on it) Do you think the pike is an upgrade in performance/strength over the fox? I really noticed the perofrmance gain when I had it pushed and just dont want to loose that "feel" but wouldn't mind a bit more in the strengh department. Im 185 and ride pretty light on my bike but still do 6 foot to tranny and climb everything I ride down as well as long days out, 30+miles.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
in my humble opinion, it is only an upgrade if you want more travel, and/or want adjustable travel, and/or want a 20mm axle which in either of these cases, the Pike is an upgrade. I personally do not think the feel will be better for the same given travel but if you want more travel then I say it is worth it, assuming you are willing to spend the coin to relace your front wheel to a 20mm hub or maybe you are lucky and have a convertible hub (eg, Hope Bulb). Having said all this, reliable sources indicate that soon PUSH will be modifying Rock Shox for the general public in addition to Fox so you can then have the Pike PUSHed at that point which will be completely sweet.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FoShizzle said:
in my humble opinion, it is only an upgrade if you want more travel, and/or want adjustable travel, and/or want a 20mm axle which in either of these cases, the Pike is an upgrade. I personally do not think the feel will be better for the same given travel but if you want more travel then I say it is worth it, assuming you are willing to spend the coin to relace your front wheel to a 20mm hub or maybe you are lucky and have a convertible hub (eg, Hope Bulb). Having said all this, reliable sources indicate that soon PUSH will be modifying Rock Shox for the general public in addition to Fox so you can then have the Pike PUSHed at that point which will be completely sweet.
So you dont feel its a stronger fork? or just stiffer and a bit more travel. Im just wondering if 10mm would be a noticable increase.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
I do think the Pike is gonna be a stiffer fork for sure. I guess where I was coming from was for a lot of riding (most riding for me anyways), any advantage in stiffness wont really be realized. However, if you are truly hucking or doing gnarly stuff regularly I think the Pike is going to benefit you.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I would think that the 20mm thru axle would exhibit a marked increase in stiffness over a standard QR, regardless of which brand of fork you ride.

The 10mm of travel is equivalent to less than 1/2 inch, so I doubt you notice a big change there. It really depends on whether or not you see a big change in Axle to Crown height.

Where you could see changes though is in the adjustability, depending on which Pike model you get and which Vanilla model you have. Even the lowest model Pike will have compression and platform adjustments, unlike Fox's offereings.

I'd go for it. The Pike is very nice and soon you'll be able to get the Push mods to it to. There is no need to wait for that though, the RS stuff is good as it is, just like Fox.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.