Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Lol it’s popular for a reason. A little bit of everything from tech, XC, DH, Flow, glacial lakes etc. Oh and the views aren’t bad either :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm also interested to know how much it's melted in the last week. Evidently there were still large snowdrifts last Sat that required hike-a-bike and made route finding tricky. It's been warm and windy this week though--a perfect combination for melt.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Is this trail any good? I've heard it is good, and I have heard it sux.
It's great if you like to do a bunch of climbing and then lose all of that elevation by descending a gravel fireroad. Top notch gravel road DH run if that's your thing.

It's like that famous restaurant you've heard about forever and then when you finally eat there it's...meh. If it was called Fireroad #76B2 no one would ever ride it...but if they can post on social media that they rode Hole in the Ground then it's super bonus internet points time.

YMMV

·
Registered
421 Posts
The thing with HITG is that it’s an old school Sierra trail that predates so many other trails in the area for MTB use. The ST section is fun, feels remote, has some challenging moves and there are places to explore the granite slabs. There’s also a couple of lakes which, combined with the high elevation, make it good for hot days. It’s just a lot of pedaling and is anticlimactic due to the fireroads which make up about 7 of 15 miles.

By way of comparison to the other most loved/hated trail around, I’d ride HITG long before riding the Flume. The Flume is 3 miles of mind numbing sandy flats abutted by two miserable fireroads. The Flume is also way overcrowded while HITG is seeing less and less traffic due people going to other zones.

Ride it, you might enjoy it or you might not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
How is it in the opposite direction? Clock-wise? I know you'd have to hike-a-bike that ledgy section. Seems always to be ridden counter clockwise.

It's great if you like to do a bunch of climbing and then lose all of that elevation by descending a gravel fireroad. Top notch gravel road DH run if that's your thing.

It's like that famous restaurant you've heard about forever and then when you finally eat there it's...meh. If it was called Fireroad #76B2 no one would ever ride it...but if they can post on social media that they rode Hole in the Ground then it's super bonus internet points time.

YMMV

·
Registered
519 Posts
How is it in the opposite direction? Clock-wise? I know you'd have to hike-a-bike that ledgy section. Seems always to be ridden counter clockwise.
That was my first thought after riding it. I think most of the actual fun singletrack sections would be uphill if ridden clockwise though. Could be wrong as it's been several years. Felt bad taking an out of state wedding guest on that trail considering it was his only opportunity to ride. He felt it was a let down too. Certainly much better options in the area.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know some people that prefer to do it as an out and back from Boreal to Lola Montez Lake. You can also tie into the Donner Rim Trail for some rides back towards Tahoe Donner.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The Flume is also abutted by 2 fun single track trails: TRT from Tahoe Meadows and the Marlette Creek Trail descent.

The thing with HITG is that it's an old school Sierra trail that predates so many other trails in the area for MTB use. The ST section is fun, feels remote, has some challenging moves and there are places to explore the granite slabs. There's also a couple of lakes which, combined with the high elevation, make it good for hot days. It's just a lot of pedaling and is anticlimactic due to the fireroads which make up about 7 of 15 miles.

By way of comparison to the other most loved/hated trail around, I'd ride HITG long before riding the Flume. The Flume is 3 miles of mind numbing sandy flats abutted by two miserable fireroads. The Flume is also way overcrowded while HITG is seeing less and less traffic due people going to other zones.

Ride it, you might enjoy it or you might not.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Flume is also abutted by 2 fun single track trails: TRT from Tahoe Meadows and the Marlette Creek Trail descent.
True but the Flume still sucks. More so if you make the mistake of coming from Spooner or up Tunnel Creek.

For Chimney, I prefer staying on the TRT to North Canyon and skipping the Flume. Unfortunately thats back to losing a bunch of elevation on a fireroad and climbing fireroad back up. It's less crappy than the fireroads on HITG but still crappy and you don't have to waste your life away on the Flume.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Rode it last weekend. There was still quite a bit of snow hike-a-bike. Should be snow-free onto Andesite by now. Likely still a little on the north side in the trees, but nothing to worry about if you know the trail.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It's great if you like to do a bunch of climbing and then lose all of that elevation by descending a gravel fireroad.
Exactly. I always thought it's popular because people don't know any better.

Back in the day, it was one of the few longer rides in the Truckee/Summit area, but there's just so many better options, even nearby. But I do want to start exploring to the west of the loop someday.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Been riding in Truckee for six years and I've still never ridden it. Honestly, I'm waiting for TTF to reroute the fire road descent, which is supposed to happen this fall, I think. I have fantasies of riding from Glacier in TD to the end of a newly rerouted HITG and shuttling back.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.