Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headset is creaking a bit, when I jump, and than do a stoppie. It will creak.
I cleaned and greased it, and it was quiet for few rides.

I'm thinking to use PT AP-1 (or Loctite 7649) and PT RC-1 (Or loctite 680) to keep headset from moving around.
I do not want to take a chance to bond bearings to frame permanently though.

It is IS42/52 headset directly in CF frame.

Is this safe/good solution?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
IDK. The bearings are located by the conical surfaces not the inner or outer ODs, which have clearance. Preload is what keeps the bearings from moving. I'd stick with grease and maybe up the preload some. Loctite would be a bodge. If the bearings have been moving due to insufficient preload, the seating surfaces in the head tube might have gotten distorted. IDK of a tool/reamer to fix that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, proper preload. What do you mean by step torqued?

I took it all apart, cleaned it, greased it. Still can hear it creak

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
What headset?

I'd been cursed with headset creaks from Cane Creek 40s on a number of bikes through the years. Tried everything to make it better but always came back. Why they always ended up creaking, I can't say but they did. Finally dropped the cash on a King and problems went away. Not trying to bash CC as I think their stuff is otherwise very good. Even new headsets ended up creaking after a few rides. Had been on rentals and the same type of "snapping" creak sound was always heard and always ended up being a CC 40.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh. Stem. Not step :)
When I took it all apart yesterday I also cleaned the stem. And crown race. Applied carbon paste to stem/steerer and stem/bar interface. I did not clean the bolts though.
Torqued.
From testing around the house still seems like it's creaking.
There is no creaking when turning. Only when applying downforce to the bike or lifting rear wheel/ standing up on front one.
8 out of 10 times someone brings a bike in with a creaky headset, it's because their stem bolt need to be cleaned, lubed and re-torqued.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Acros AIX. stock on '17 Jeffsy CF 29
What headset?

I'd been cursed with headset creaks from Cane Creek 40s on a number of bikes through the years. Tried everything to make it better but always came back. Why they always ended up creaking, I can't say but they did. Finally dropped the cash on a King and problems went away. Not trying to bash CC as I think their stuff is otherwise very good. Even new headsets ended up creaking after a few rides. Had been on rentals and the same type of "snapping" creak sound was always heard and always ended up being a CC 40.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you greased all surfaces of headset and it's still creaking right away I would question whether the creak is really coming from the headset. I'm not saying it isn't, but i would be checking for other potential places for a creak. If it is happening during a stoppie it could be your fork, or front brake too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you greased all surfaces of headset and it's still creaking right away I would question whether the creak is really coming from the headset. I'm not saying it isn't, but i would be checking for other potential places for a creak. If it is happening during a stoppie it could be your fork, or front brake too.
Could be the CSU (crown/steer/upper) of the fork that's creaking. Worth checking your QR/Thru axle as well. 1st rule of troubleshooting creeks, it's rarely what you think it is at the beginning.
Yeah, you both have a good point.
Yesterday on a ride I decided I will clean/lube seatpost, seat rails.
Than I think for whatever reason my crank made few creaks (I lubbed it last week I think!)
This is annoying, but I'm gonna chase this around for a bit and see if I can get rid of all the creaks.

@customfab
How would I troubleshoot fork crown? It might be it, so close to headset. But I have no idea how to tell if that's it. I don't have another fork laying around.... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.