Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many may know, the 08 Talas 32 suffers from the lack of travel issue, that is they don't get the claimed 140mmm but only between 120-130. I read somewhere that PUSH has a fix, but of course if you buy this expensive fork, you don't expect to be having to pay to fix it, when it's clearly defect in design by Fox. Anyone knows if Fox are repairing them?, and please not a La Marzocchi style (that is charging you for warranty service).... So much for this overrated brand....:skep:

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Relayden said:
As many may know, the 08 Talas 32 suffers from the lack of travel issue, that is they don't get the claimed 140mmm but only between 120-130. I read somewhere that PUSH has a fix, but of course if you buy this expensive fork, you don't expect to be having to pay to fix it, when it's clearly defect in design by Fox. Anyone knows if Fox are repairing them?, and please not a La Marzocchi style (that is charging you for warranty service).... So much for this overrated brand....:skep:
Dude, if you are getting 120-130 mm out of your Talas 32, you are lucky! While I agree with your assessment of the fork, what I would recommend are to first reduce oil volume by about 10 mL. If that does not work, switch out the oil to something lighter. I switched to Bel-Ray HVI 5 wt and the fork feels much better this way. Still use the Torco stuff on the Talas side for lubrication. With this mod, I went from ~100m travel with 25% sag to about 115-120mm travel with 25% sag. I have never seen anything close to 140 but don't really care. It is more about the quality of travel and not the quantity.

Also, the most important tip is to take two rags, soak them in Torco oil (and drain the excess oil off) and wrap them around the fork seals overnight. Make sure no oil drips onto your brake calipers. Before your next ride, remove rags and wipe off all excess oil.

I have found this dramatically improves the ride. Other people recommend turning the bike upside down, but I have tried that, and it does nothing like this.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Weird - I have full travel on my 2008 Talas 32 RLC. If you're letting the air out of the fork and it will not bottom, sounds like an oil overfilling issue. I have read other threads discussing oil levels in Fox forks be it over or under filled.

Granted the last half inch of travel is more progressive than the first 5 inches but it is not that difficult for me to bottom it. Usually a 2 or 3 footer landing slightly front wheel first (not often) or a sharp up and down that bottoms the fork. I weight about 170 ride weight with 175-180 psi air. Not getting 25% sag with this setting but the fork feels great still.

Mike

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips, I'll try that and see. However the intention in buying the fork is getting the full travel, otherwise another year or lighter model would have been the choice. My 1 1/2 year 145mm Nixon is performing flawlessly! and was half the price, it doesn't match the manufacturing bling and quality look, but sure performs way better. Now I understand why the Talas is on closeout all over the net. Nevertheless not a bad deal if you can solve the travel issue. I'll report my findings....

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
wheatgerm said:
Weird - I have full travel on my 2008 Talas 32 RLC. If you're letting the air out of the fork and it will not bottom, sounds like an oil overfilling issue. I have read other threads discussing oil levels in Fox forks be it over or under filled.

Granted the last half inch of travel is more progressive than the first 5 inches but it is not that difficult for me to bottom it. Usually a 2 or 3 footer landing slightly front wheel first (not often) or a sharp up and down that bottoms the fork. I weight about 170 ride weight with 175-180 psi air. Not getting 25% sag with this setting but the fork feels great still.

Mike
Dude, are you really using 175-180lbs of air? That is more than twice what Fox recommends for your weight. I am 195 and the fork will barely move at 90lb of air.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Vespasianus said:
Dude, are you really using 175-180lbs of air? That is more than twice what Fox recommends for your weight. I am 195 and the fork will barely move at 90lb of air.
I was thinking this too. I'm only running 65 to 70psi and weigh 155pounds or so (72kg). Still doesn't help my (lack of) bottom out problem.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
ir12daveor said:
I was thinking this too. I'm only running 65 to 70psi and weigh 155pounds or so (72kg). Still doesn't help my (lack of) bottom out problem.
If you let out all the air and are not getting full travel, you have bigger problem. I would check you oil levels to make sure they are correct. It is easy to do, just takes time to drip out all the oil from the cartridge.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
I hope I never get true full travel on any fork. Shock- yes; fork- I prefer some strong bottom-out resistance....at least 5-7 mm. Maybe that is why I never complain about not getting full travel but unless I take off on a 3 ft launch, that fork better not bottom out, and even then, I hope the resistance kicks in.

I'm 180 bodyweight and use around 50-60 psi.

·
Registered
223 Posts
wheatgerm said:
Weird - I have full travel on my 2008 Talas 32 RLC.
Yeah, no problems here. I get within a couple mm of full travel with moderate jumps and drops. I weigh 180, and I use 80 or 85 psi, depending on the terrain.

The '07 Float RL was much worse about not getting full travel. I could really feel the progressive air spring prevent full travel.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Flyer said:
I hope I never get true full travel on any fork. Shock- yes; fork- I prefer some strong bottom-out resistance....at least 5-7 mm. Maybe that is why I never complain about not getting full travel but unless I take off on a 3 ft launch, that fork better not bottom out, and even then, I hope the resistance kicks in.

I'm 180 bodyweight and use around 50-60 psi.
I would agree with this. Quality not quantity. I have recently dropped air pressure back to 55lbs of air and ridden the fork in the 120mm mode. I keep the compression setting close to 2 clicks from fully closed and the fork rides well like this. This way, I can switch the fork to 140 on the downhills and get a less steep head angle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.