Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks kind of intriguing, just north of Augusta in SC. The research I’ve done say it gets wet and can stay wet so I’d want to go when it’s been dry for a bit.

Is it worth a road trip?

· Registered
434 Posts
I went from Athens. It's fun. You can make it worth your while because you can really put in some mileage.

I will do it again once it cools off. Augusta is hot as the surface of the sun.

As for the trail conditions, they have a website and they're very good about updating it.

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id definitely be into some big miles but can do that only when temps get below 80. I can ride in the 90s but not longer than 15 before it’s time to quit.

· Registered
2,867 Posts
If you like flowy, twisty trails, it's a lot of fun and a lot of miles. Great for beginners and intermediate riders. The faster you go, the more fun it is. You can do the whole system in a day, if you have the legs. Not much technical challenge at all, so if that's your jam, the drive would be better spent elsewhere.

The trails do stay wet longer than a lot of places. They have a lot of seeps there. They have web links that they keep conditions updated. They also have some riding restrictions during hunting season, or use to.

· Registered
162 Posts
I started mountain biking when I lived in Southeast GA, so I learned to ride at FATS. It is a fun trail system that is managed by a great group (SORBA-CSRA). I still try to ride there every time I am back in the area. Big Rock and Tower (counter clockwise) are my favorite trails and the first half of Deep Step (counter clockwise) is a blast.

I personally think FATS is more fun than Blankets Creek and worth a day trip from Atlanta.

· Registered
95 Posts
They close the trails if it get to wet and lately it has been to wet. I would say it is worth a day trip for sure. I will also say do not underestimate FATS...If it is hot that place can kick your butt. Has some punchy climbs and some nice decents also. There are pit toilets and changing areas at the trail head. Trail map is good, just don't be like me and misread the map and go down the unintended trail like I did! You will encounter hikers. And there are plenty of chiggers there. Careful on what you touch or you will find yourself itching a lot!!

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They close the trails if it get to wet and lately it has been to wet. I would say it is worth a day trip for sure. I will also say do not underestimate FATS...If it is hot that place can kick your butt. Has some punchy climbs and some nice decents also. There are pit toilets and changing areas at the trail head. Trail map is good, just don't be like me and misread the map and go down the unintended trail like I did! You will encounter hikers. And there are plenty of chiggers there. Careful on what you touch or you will find yourself itching a lot!!
Thanks, will check it out when it cools off.

Reactions: BkngBear
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.