Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I currently ride full suspension 2.3 tire bike tubeless mostly riding technical trials and rock gardens. I have a permanent tennis elbow condition. Can a full suspension fat bike provide a better cushion for my arms. I am not concerned with speed, just want to take care of my arms when riding on rocks and roots.
Any opinion on comparison between full suspension 2.3 vs 4 inch or bigger tires would help.Thank you.

·
turtles make me hot
11,672 Posts
I don't have tennis elbow but I do have a poorly done surgical repair on my right forearm. Long rides on ANY bike, FS, fat, whatever, caused my right wrist to hurt badly.
A few years ago I was introduced to Jones Loop Bars. Solved all my problems.
Maybe a similar solution waits for you.

I do like my fat bike though.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
Seconding the Jones suggestion, cheaper than a new bike if nothing else!

If you don't need floatation ever, I'd suggest bumping up to some 3" tires and enjoy the plushening. Otherwise, fatties make snow and sand a blast...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I doubt it. While my Farley EX8 is worlds better than a rigid, and even a hardtail, it is only marginally more compliant/less jarring than any other full-suspension non-fat bike. Your tennis elbow is far more likely to be about grip than jarring. I agree that different bars are going to be more likely to represent your solution than a new bike.

·
Like a FirePlug
175 Posts
These Oddity bars have been amazing. I've got 2 herniated disks in my neck and need to be more upright and moving my hands around.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I’d investigate bars and grips rather than a full bike solution. We’ve had alt-bars alternative bars swept bar discussions here in the past. See if you can dig up a few.

Briefly, I’ve had ulnar nerve issues on both hands/arms, broken thumb, wrist issue, dislocated shoulder with associated tears.

Most stock bikes come with less than 10degrees sweep to the bars. Aftermarket bars can be found from various manufacturers between 15-45deg sweep.

I like bars in the low 20’s with ergon grips.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,133 Posts
The thing about big fat tires is that while they will help to absorb and cushion impacts at a certain speed/impact range, the way a "fixed" damper works such as this is that impacts outside of this range will give you the opposite effect, in other words they will be magnified and the rebound of the air in the tires will make it harder to control the bike (more bouncy). Good shock absorbers can help to control this, but I don't think you are going to find that the bike is "better" for bumps. Bikes like to pick up speed downhill and not stay in the same speed range. Another issue is that a fat-bike is going to have a lot of unsprung mass, which is far from optimal for a suspension system, you generally want as little unsprung mass as possible. Coil shocks are amazing though for traction and comfort, so I recommend a bike that can take a coil sprung shock, many air-shock bikes cannot due to the leverage curve. As suggested here, handlebars and grips may be much more pertinent to solving the problem.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,869 Posts
fat bikes are harsh and heavy definitely not a 'go to' bike for recovery of any type. you make the ride soft then it will be a slog trying to get any speed. you want speed those fat tires at pressure kick right back at you

yanking that fat front end up over crud ? .... IMHO better to get an XC lightweight rig your arms will suffer less.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
If your tennis elbow was the same concept as the bout I had last year? Horrible, not thanks, sorry to hear that's going on, BTW.

I rode without so much as a twinge (with the band on at least) for the whole duration, YMMV....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
fat bikes are harsh and heavy definitely not a 'go to' bike for recovery of any type. you make the ride soft then it will be a slog trying to get any speed. you want speed those fat tires at pressure kick right back at you

yanking that fat front end up over crud ? .... IMHO better to get an XC lightweight rig your arms will suffer less.
My Farley EX8 is absolutely not a harsh ride. It's as plush and compliant as I could possibly want.

Your riding expectations are probably different than mine. I can't imagine having to yank the front end over anything...that would never be a important criteria for me in bike selection. I'm not sure that a fully suspended fat bike is the answer to tennis elbow, but it sure does solve several other upper body off-road biking issues.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I've been using the Salsa Bend bar Deluxe the last couple weeks and I like the 17deg sweep. My left wrist has no pain and my right hand is not cramping as much. I previously rode a low riser bar with about 5deg sweep. I'm also considering ESI chunky grips to replace my ODI Rogue grips. This bike has a sus fork. You also may want to consider the angle of your brake levers and shifters if the angle of your wrist is not inline. Perhaps that influences your elbow position and pain as well.

I further agree that riding a fat bike with more cushin' for the pushin', is not likely to alleviate pain. I have a low riser bar on mine (rigid) and I'm thinkin' the Bend bar will migrate over this next winter. I don't find my fatbike to ride harshly at all, despite an aluminum frame, but tire pressure is a big factor. More so on fatbikes due to conditions, than any other style of bike. I also agree with most people's suggestion to look at alt bars.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Doubtful new bikes or parts I'll remedy the issue.

Have you seen a good PT?

I had the same thing, aggravated by riding. With agressive stretching and strengthening it went away. Tendinitis like this can often take up to a year to fully heal on the microscopic level.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My new fatback came with ergon GA3 grips. After a few rides, they are keepers. They have reduced my wrist pain. The wide part of the grip is not as wide as the typical ergon grips. I have them on both of my bikes now. May or may not impact your elbow issue; might be worth a try.

urmb

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.