Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a participant in "extreme" sports (rock and ice climbing) I've been annoyed for the past few years by the marketing hijak of such activites into the mainstream. Instead of being the nerdy engineers who doesn't want to take a whipper, me and my buddies were suddenly portrayed as stupid, high, adrenaline junkies who live with their parents.

In the past few years the trend has reached a peak in Marketing land to the point that this morning I brushed my teeth with an "extreme" toothbrush and "extreme" toothpaste for an "extreme" clean. I then hopped into my "extreme" pants, ate an "extreme" cereal, drank "extreme" coffee, before driving my "extreme" vehicle to work in "extreme" driving conditions...... WOW! that was a pretty extreme morning, no? At this point I think the only product that is not labeled as extreme by stoned sounding 20-somethings is toilet paper...simply because most of us would not like to know what "extreme" toilet paper feels like....

My point of the rant is that I am starting to hear the word "epic" pop up a bit too much now. I'm afraid were are headed for the same fate again. We are already buying "epic" energy drinks on our way to "epic" ski hills, and eating "epic" burgers to refuel.

I think we in MTB-land are about to lose that word to the marketing guru's. Maybe we should start coming up with a new term now before we sound like a Mounatin Dew commercial when talk about an epic ride? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
How about, "wicked pissa"?

As in, "I did a 35 miler last week and had to wrestle a mountain lion. It was wicked pissa." Let's see those damn marketers try to take that away. I dare them to make me brush my teeth with Wicked Pissa Toothpaste or finish my ride with Wicked Pissa Flavored Gatorade.

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
screampint said:
I have an easy solution:

Turn off the television. Yes, that is an extreme measure, but it could lead to an epic ride.

The marketing hype will no longer be extremely bothersome to epic proportions.
YEAH! TO THE MAX!!!

Kn.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TV is off....

I turned it off for the most part a while ago.....

It's just really funny when you look at deodorant, a toothbrush, or a pizza box and see "extreme" printed on it.

I just don't think the term epic ride will have much meaning anymore after buying an epic laxative...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Marketing will always be about 2 years behind the curve on anything like this, mainly because the people who have the knowledge to clue them in are too busy working at normal, run-of-the-mill jobs, and riding/climbing/surfing/etc. on weekends. Being too busy to drop a line to the ad geeks...

·
blet drive
2,178 Posts
Scott O said:

As in, "I did a 35 miler last week and had to wrestle a mountain lion. It was wicked pissa." Let's see those damn marketers try to take that away. I dare them to make me brush my teeth with Wicked Pissa Toothpaste or finish my ride with Wicked Pissa Flavored Gatorade.
i like i like it wicked pissa

·
Registered
290 Posts
OK, so I had an acquaintance, the boyfriend of a friend of my wife, who liked to throw out weird sayings and see if they caught on or if he heard someone else use it. The one I heard about was 'bonus ninja!:p I don't think I'll be hearing that one again, except for in stories about him. I think epic should be safer than extreme was. It's not as easy for the public to understand what it's all about.
Dude! That jump was totally bonus ninja! You got like two feet of air!

·
Registered
438 Posts
You're a climber? I used to spend at least 12 hours a week in the climbing gym, so I could one day climb V12. I never got past V10, partly from a lack of natural talent, but also because i got so tired of the super-psyched, super-sick... just the general mundane, repetitive, super-ness of everyone's self-involvement. Of course, I live in Boulder, so I suppose that's to be expected. After a time, I refused to use any climbing related jargon, ever, "Grab that thing-y and put your foot on that little doo-hicky there." Granted, the lingo is highly descriptive, and therefore useful, but such was my disillusion. It became impossible to communicate with other climbers whose vocabulary included these words, but none others: sloper, crimper, gaston, dyno, sick, psyched, and epic.

I suppose now I climb very little and ride my mtb very often because, when you "go for a bike ride" you are riding your bike, getting away from things, and enjoying the act. You're not standing around talking about it. (I'd use "analyzing" instead of "talking about", but I don't think that's an appropriate description of how most climbers discuss their experiences.) All the bũllshǐt is left at the parking lot. When you go climbing, and especially bouldering, you stand around a lot, talk about how psyched you are about the epic rock you're climbing, strut around with your shirt off, and attempt to freshen the obvious air of competitiveness that lingers at every crag and bouldering area. Admittedly, I was to blame for it as much as the next douche-bag. I HAD to improve, and if I didn't, climbing wasn't enjoyable. Although the desire to improve exists for my riding, it isn't overwhelming to the point of stifling my enjoyment of it. A ride is a ride.

I do miss the girls. God, climber-chicks are hot.

Anyway, marketers are like the rest of us: lazy. We either don't have the capacity for, or the time to delineate quality beyond the very thick line between good and bad. But their job is to know what things promote that laziness. And in terms of words, it's whatever catch-phrase promotes a verbal-laziness, and therefore a mental one. "Epic rock"? That doesn't make any sense, but I've heard it. Just like your "extreme toothpaste", "epic" has no descriptive value in that phrase, other than saying it's good, as opposed to the only apparent alternative: bad.

My only suggestion is this: when you hear a cliché, the smell isn't far behind. The only thing to do is hold your breath, and risk asphyxiation, or run.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Scott O said:

"Wicked pissa"

That phrase is pro-nasty.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Scott O said:

Would be cool but now after 10 minutes of trying to pronounce it correctly I gave up.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
Marketing is an odd and very bizarre thing.
Lets bring back "gnarly"! :rolleyes: Then go get gnarly on an Epic while on an epic, extreme ride.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Exteme sport, something just outside your abilities.

Epic what happens when something within your abilities, does not work out, and getting home takes a long time.

You should have known better if you have an Extreme Epic.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup

perioeci said:
You're a climber? I used to spend at least 12 hours a week in the climbing gym, so I could one day climb V12. I never got past V10, partly from a lack of natural talent, but also because i got so tired of the super-psyched, super-sick... just the general mundane, repetitive, super-ness of everyone's self-involvement. Of course, I live in Boulder, so I suppose that's to be expected. After a time, I refused to use any climbing related jargon, ever, "Grab that thing-y and put your foot on that little doo-hicky there." Granted, the lingo is highly descriptive, and therefore useful, but such was my disillusion. It became impossible to communicate with other climbers whose vocabulary included these words, but none others: sloper, crimper, gaston, dyno, sick, psyched, and epic.

I suppose now I climb very little and ride my mtb very often because, when you "go for a bike ride" you are riding your bike, getting away from things, and enjoying the act. You're not standing around talking about it. (I'd use "analyzing" instead of "talking about", but I don't think that's an appropriate description of how most climbers discuss their experiences.) All the bũllshǐt is left at the parking lot. When you go climbing, and especially bouldering, you stand around a lot, talk about how psyched you are about the epic rock you're climbing, strut around with your shirt off, and attempt to freshen the obvious air of competitiveness that lingers at every crag and bouldering area. Admittedly, I was to blame for it as much as the next douche-bag. I HAD to improve, and if I didn't, climbing wasn't enjoyable. Although the desire to improve exists for my riding, it isn't overwhelming to the point of stifling my enjoyment of it. A ride is a ride.

I do miss the girls. God, climber-chicks are hot.

Anyway, marketers are like the rest of us: lazy. We either don't have the capacity for, or the time to delineate quality beyond the very thick line between good and bad. But their job is to know what things promote that laziness. And in terms of words, it's whatever catch-phrase promotes a verbal-laziness, and therefore a mental one. "Epic rock"? That doesn't make any sense, but I've heard it. Just like your "extreme toothpaste", "epic" has no descriptive value in that phrase, other than saying it's good, as opposed to the only apparent alternative: bad.

My only suggestion is this: when you hear a cliché, the smell isn't far behind. The only thing to do is hold your breath, and risk asphyxiation, or run.
I was more of a Trad climber, although I did bolt some routes. After 10 years of eating, sleeping, breathing climbing, It got old. I got sick of the "relationships" with climbing partners. After having my kiddo, I also couldn't devote entire days to go the South Platte or half days in Boulder Canyon. Yosemite trips would lead to near divorce every summer.... Biking was just more convenient and not I'm enjoying it as much as I ever did enjoy climbing. I still go the Spot once a week in the winter for "cross training", but I haven't been on rock or ice since going to Yosemite in Sep '05

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like that!

That is a good question? I'd much rather have an Epic ride!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'm going to start using "wicked pissa" in every day conversations.

Used to race r/c cars (nitro) with some "pros" and they all used to come up with terms and phrases for racing. Some took off, some didn't. But it was always interesting to notice the little sayings that made it into the r/c mags. A few hubby and I still use, actually, but they never made it to mainstream I don't think :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.