Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Cyclical, as some have posited, or another indicator of our changing climate?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I fully expect an early start to the fire season.
Entire forests in the Four Corners will be closed to visitation until mid September.
Riding will be limited to a few thousand acres nearest to city limits (where local firefighters can hose out a fire).
Of course, riding will be allowed in the desert where it'll be hot enough to melt most plastics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
And here I am in the center of Missouri with very few riding days due to the trails being to wet to ride.

Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cyclical, as some have posited, or another indicator of our changing climate?
Maybe both. I think I remember reading in the west that the recent hundred and a half years have been unusually wet compared to the average over several thousand years. So populations have grown to be dependent on having more water than can be relied upon.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I always pay extra to get a window seat when flying anywhere in the west during the summer. The last 5 years, however, it was wasted money. Even on clear days you couldn't see the ground for all of the smoke.

I know, first world problems, but there it is.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,862 Posts
The drought has no known impact on my riding or living, at present. I am used to riding in drought conditions in SoCal. Long term I just don't know.

The snow didnt show up but its raining steadily. The local lake is a foot below full elevation. If the rain keeps up, the lake association will have to reluctantly release water to the agencys down the mountain.
Big bear Lake is 13' from full. On this day 20 years ago it was 4' from full.

Lake Arrowhead is 3' below full, last year it was full.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Maybe both. I think I remember reading in the west that the recent hundred and a half years have been unusually wet compared to the average over several thousand years. So populations have grown to be dependent on having more water than can be relied upon.
The wettest locales in the coming decade/s will be seaside; rising ocean levels are already causing havoc in many places. Hilton Head and Miami, to name a few popular destinations.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I always pay extra to get a window seat when flying anywhere in the west during the summer. The last 5 years, however, it was wasted money. Even on clear days you couldn't see the ground for all of the smoke.

I know, first world problems, but there it is.
I read an article recently that a good portion of the burned forest areas are not growing trees back because it's too hot and dry for them to return. We're losing forests at an alarming rate.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Im afraid they will close trails this summer because of how dry it is to prevent wildfires. I know they will in Flagstaff. However sometimes they should close them because there is always that one idiot that needs a cigarette while out on the trail.
Or one forest thinning dozer striking a rock and sparking up the place...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts