Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
While we had a very good snowpack this winter, I really dread the smoke from wildfires. Last year was very bad with huge fires in both WA and OR making the air nearly unbreathable.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
The problem with a depleted aquifer is that without enough water filling the pore spaces of the rock or sediment, it sort of collapses in on itself and can't be replenished to what it was once was. It loses its storage capacity.
That's why we need to backfill them with fracking waste.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
That's why we need to backfill them with fracking waste.

That would be awesome. The resulting earthquakes could be used by geophysicists to map the Earth's interior. We could discover new fault systems! Think of the potential for new and exciting discoveries!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Droughts come and go.
And the affected areas migrate.

The current intense drought is 4 months old.
It's likely to get worse (though we're about to get a foot of snow, so hopefully we'll get a wet spring).

Really, my only point was that the droughts of the 1950's and 1930's were worse. I should have made the comment more conversational than confrontational, I suppose.:
Here's 1934

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
It seemed that we got just enough rain throughout the summer to maintain hero dirt through the season. It was one of the best ever.

·
Straight out tha traila
1,083 Posts
Something to consider about the difference between this drought and droughts in the past, the aquifer was still full back in the old times. That is not the case anymore in the west. Unless we get a few exceptionally wet years soon, it’s gonna be an ugly scenario, especially for the folks depending on Lake Mead for water.
Here in Vegas we get about 90% IIRC of our water from lake Mead. Recently we tunneled a new intake so deep into the lake that if the water level drops that low, Boulder (Hoover) dam will no longer function. The Colorado river will end at Lake Mead. The law of the river prevents that but just a wacky scenario!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I’ll let you know if we have a drought after all the ice and snow melts. Still waiting on that, considering this is the coldest spring I’ve ever experienced in my 43 years.

·
On wuss patrol
5,048 Posts
It's been so dry around here that the deer are hanging around much lower in the foothills, close to houses. Rode (very slowly) through 3 separate herds and about 20 muleys in the late morning on the trail yesterday. Can't imagine what's edible, everything is so frikkin' crispy.

At this rate fire season will close the trails in a few weeks.

What's up where you ride?
CO?

·
Formerly of Kent
12,344 Posts
Better hope the communities that require Colorado River water to survive figure out water conservation, and quickly.

The Colorado, Yampa and Gunnison are at 79, 80 and 68(!)% of normal snowpack at this point in the year. The Dolores is at 61!

Some of the Utah basins are in the teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Advanced dryness isn't really changing my ride. I mean it is less than ideal.
Fortunately I'm really getting out of shape, so riding more slowly on the exposed rocks that cover the concrete-hard dirt with silt all over is getting really easy.
The bummer is that my downs are still pretty good, except for the fear factor of how loose everything else.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Here in Vegas we get about 90% IIRC of our water from lake Mead. Recently we tunneled a new intake so deep into the lake that if the water level drops that low, Boulder (Hoover) dam will no longer function. The Colorado river will end at Lake Mead. The law of the river prevents that but just a wacky scenario!
As long as I can have a lawn in the desert it's worth it.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
Not yet. Trails are tacky. It's been raining at night all week and there's snow in the forecast for Monday. The lakes are at full capacity and one of the ski resorts finally closed four days ago. This in in Socal.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
While we had a very good snowpack this winter, I really dread the smoke from wildfires. Last year was very bad with huge fires in both WA and OR making the air nearly unbreathable.
Yeah man, I've purchased five air cleaners to help our home's central HVAC system filter out the smoke when it comes. Last summer was AWFUL.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yeah man, I've purchased five air cleaners to help our home's central HVAC system filter out the smoke when it comes. Last summer was AWFUL.
suggest vulcan vents depending on how close you are to possible wildfires. we got them last year when a fire broke out less than a mile from our home and burned 8k acres and we had ash falling from a fire almost 60 miles away.

a drought hasn't changed my ride. its always dusty and dirty no mater what. I just watch the water table since we are on a well. we are still good but down the road is a different story. our water is at 19ft. a few miles away it is almost 300ft down. but they are on a different aquifer.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Ember proof vents are pretty common in OR, I'm not sure I've seen a structure without them. Last year I taped up 5 merv 12 or 14 filters to form 5 sides of a cube then taped that to a box fan. Worked exceedingly well at cleaning the air in my apt.

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
Re: roofing

I don’t have any idea what either of you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Im afraid they will close trails this summer because of how dry it is to prevent wildfires. I know they will in Flagstaff. However sometimes they should close them because there is always that one idiot that needs a cigarette while out on the trail.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
The snow didnt show up but its raining steadily. The local lake is a foot below full elevation. If the rain keeps up, the lake association will have to reluctantly release water to the agencys down the mountain.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts