Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been so dry around here that the deer are hanging around much lower in the foothills, close to houses. Rode (very slowly) through 3 separate herds and about 20 muleys in the late morning on the trail yesterday. Can't imagine what's edible, everything is so frikkin' crispy.

At this rate fire season will close the trails in a few weeks.

What's up where you ride?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,199 Posts
deer eat bark... so...they can last a while on what looks like sparse pickins

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,199 Posts
pretty dry looking from here
D4 exceptional drought is darkest

The highest category, exceptional drought, or D4, corresponds to an area experiencing exceptional and widespread crop and pasture losses, fire risk, and water shortages that result in water emergencies. ...

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
It's much worse than it used to be.
Not worse than the 1950's. And of course the droughts in the 1930's were the worst in a thousand years.
Southwestern North America is very drought prone.

Anyway, the only effect it's had on me in the Wasatch is that I've taken out a lot of my lawn. Don't have to water rocks!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Saint Louis area, we are griping on Facebook about people ruining the muddy trails... no drought here at the moment

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,653 Posts
Not worse than the 1950's. And of course the droughts in the 1930's were the worst in a thousand years.
Southwestern North America is very drought prone.

Anyway, the only effect it's had on me in the Wasatch is that I've taken out a lot of my lawn. Don't have to water rocks!
Unlike this, I'm providing first person narration of the last 25 years.

Unless you're about 30 years older than I am and have lived in AZ that long

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,653 Posts
So the worst in 25 years then is what you meant by "used to be".
Literally worse than the entire time I've lived in Tucson. So, since 1995.

We've been in a continual drought since 2000. That's 21 years now, longer than either the 30's or 50's btw ;)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Literally worse than the entire time I've lived in Tucson. So, since 1995.

We've been in a continual drought since 2000. That's 21 years now, longer than either the 30's or 50's btw ;)
The droughts of the 1930's and 1950's were worse. You can look up the data. I've lived in the Southwest for 43 of my adult years, having moved out here in 1978. at the age of 26. Maybe I am 30 years older than you.

But, I suppose you could define it differently. The whole area is pretty much always in a drought.
In 1979, I was in a climbing turn out of Miramar in an F-8, heading out to go to the USS Independence on cruise and looked out at my wife and neighbors, spraying the shake roofs with water! "See ya, hunny"!

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,653 Posts
The droughts of the 1930's and 1950's were worse. You can look up the data. I've lived in the Southwest for 43 of my adult years, having moved out here in 1978. at the age of 26. Maybe I am 30 years older than you.

But, I suppose you could define it differently. The whole area is pretty much always in a drought.
No, a desert itself is NOT a drought. Words have definitions and meaning. Politics be damned.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There certainly isn't anything in the way of "tree jerky" for deer to nibble on at such low elevations; that stuff, thin as it is, is at least 3,000 ft higher.

I live in the desert too. We typically get 4" to 9" of water per year, but got next to nothing for winter snowfall and at less than a half inch, we've received less than the normal 2.5" since Jan 1.
The droughts of the 1930's and 1950's were worse. You can look up the data.
I've heard that those droughts were pretty bad too. Our current one, however, has it beat by a mile:

Large contribution from anthropogenic warming to an emerging North American megadrought
...hydrological modeling and new 1200-year tree-ring reconstructions of summer soil moisture to demonstrate that the 2000–2018 SWNA drought was the second driest 19-year period since 800 CE, exceeded only by a late-1500s megadrought.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Something to consider about the difference between this drought and droughts in the past, the aquifer was still full back in the old times. That is not the case anymore in the west. Unless we get a few exceptionally wet years soon, it’s gonna be an ugly scenario, especially for the folks depending on Lake Mead for water.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Something to consider about the difference between this drought and droughts in the past, the aquifer was still full back in the old times. That is not the case anymore in the west. Unless we get a few exceptionally wet years soon, it’s gonna be an ugly scenario, especially for the folks depending on Lake Mead for water.
That and there are 233% more people than there were in 1950. Not to mention our soils are decimated. I think the timing of water becoming a traded commodity is no mistake.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
The problem with a depleted aquifer is that without enough water filling the pore spaces of the rock or sediment, it sort of collapses in on itself and can't be replenished to what it was once was. It loses its storage capacity.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts