Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting my first FS bike. The Trance seems the right joice for the riding
I do. I 've read nothing but the best about its Maestro suspension.
BUT from reading the reviews almost all of them mention the problem with the cable routing
damaging the frame!

It's so strange for a company to develop such a good suspension system and not be
able to route 4 cables right!!!!

It might be a first model overlook since I'm sure(?) they check on riders reveiews.
Have they changed the cable routing for 2007 models? Does it still cause problems?

Thnx!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah, still some issues here. Ive got a 2007 trance 0 and there is still some rubbing. Mainly on the headtube and seat tube areas. Had a reign before this and also had some problems, so even before the trances first ride, as soon as i got it home from the shop i stuck some clear automotive film on the suspect areas. Barely visible yet quite thick and tough. You can see a bit of rubbing on the film. Ill keep an eye out and replace it as needed before it wears through. Although a problem, Im sure that most full sus bikes suffer from some rubbing of cables.

Cheers

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yup

Well I haven't heard of any re-route doen to the cable stops on the '07 frames from any owners so still the same problems of frame rub from the cables. As SW said some clear film of some sort usually does the trick without being too easily seen (you need to be right up on the bike to see the stuff I use, I mean a couple inches away). Just take note of the trouble spots and get the film and apply it. Don't let a little thing like this stop you from buying a superb bike.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The headtube you will obviously get some rubbing regardless what bike you own, after all you do have to turn the bars! (well unless you like your cables sticking right out and too long).

The main problems people seem to be having is the cables bowing out on the larger frames or alternatly rubbing the seat tube due to the suspension action. Personally my headtube rub is minimal & I have plastic lizard skin patches in that area. As for the seat tube it's only the rear der. cable that bows in towards it and rubs - but there is a extra plastic sleeve in that area that prevents the cable being worn which is good. Although I have found that in 9 months it wore through the paint in that spot.

The pain seems to be pretty thick & tough though contrary to most thoughts. You have clearcoat, then paint, then some sort of undercoat (dark grey) and then bare metal. So I wouldn't say that giant has skimped in that department at all.

Short answer is that they haven't done anything aobut the routing. I guess the current routing path is probably the most asthetically pleasing. If you search the reign posts some people have re-routed along the downtube instead - that would solve the seat tube rubbing nicely.

One thing I must say is that the Trance doesn't seem to have a problem with chain slap (the sram version anyway). I started with chain stay protectors top & bottom as a caution but have since reverted to just the factory plastic patch that it came with, and still no noticeable pitting. (the lizard skins were just dust collectors anyway).

·
Registered
23 Posts
The absolute best way to protect the painted surfaces on any bike is to use some type of film on the high wear areas. 3M make a very good film type "clear bra" automotive product that comes in various width rolls. The film is flexible and easy to cut and apply. I went to a local auto detail shop and purchased a 12" x 16" scrap for 10.00. With some rice paper I made some templates of the areas on my Trance which needed protection; I made one that completely covers the head tube area with a circle cutout for the G logo. Properly applied this type of film is almost invisible and with a year of use my bike still looks perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, all!

my '07 Trance 1 came with a little sheet of stickers made out of that 3M clear film material. there were cutouts of various shapes from rectangular to round to oval shapes. i just applied them wherever i noticed that the cables rubbed and so far so good!

- joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.