Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed an order for some various parts with BikePartsUSA.com on 12/29/08. I paid right away using PayPal and received an email from PayPal confirming the payment and an email from the website showing what I ordered.

The email from bikepartsusa includes a link to "track your order". I checked on Friday and my order status was still showing as "new" so I sent an email asking if my stuff had shipped yet and when I should be expecting it. I wasn't suprised when they didn't respond right away but by Monday afternoon I still had not received a response I sent another email to a different email address I found at the site. Still no response. This morning I called their phone number and after the phone rang for a few minutes I got an answering machine telling me to leave a message but then another recording came on telling me the voicemail was full and no longer accepting messages then it cut the phone off.

This all seems really sketchy and I'm wondering if I should contact PayPal about trying to get my money back. If they are going to ship me my stuff I'd still like it but if they aren't or if it's going to be 6 months before I receive it I'd rather have my money back so I can shop elsewhere.

Has anyone ever dealt with this company before? Any sugestions on how I should proceed?

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Paypal has buyer protection so I don't see how it would be a scam.

They could just be a slow company (which is a mortal sin in the world of sales) but I doubt they are trying to get away with outright fraud.

Also, I went through a similar process with Syncros, but i did get my stuff...eventually.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I looked at their site..I noticed an 'online chat with us live' thing...did you try that?

I also notice that they don't have any mention of 'in-stock' or 'ships in 5 days' like some other sites do. My guess is that they don't warehouse anything, but when they receive an order, then they put their own order in with their distributors warehouse to get the part and then ship it out. If they do this, it definitely would cause delays, especially over the holidays. I would guess your order would just show as 'new' while they were working in the background to get the part from their distributor.

One of the reasons I prefer companies like Pricepoint, Jensen, Performance, Universalcycles is that they have a thing that shows if the parts are in stock or not. If I want the item quick and its not in stock at one place, then I go to the next.

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chat function was a win.

They said my order shipped on monday from their facility in Florida. I told them that their phones were jacked up and they said the phones are just busy and that's why I couldn't get through.

I hope this order goes smoothly from here on out because I've found a few additional items I'd like to order.

Thanks for the advice, I'll update this thread in a day or two when my package arrives to let you all know how it turned out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you don't get your stuff in a week, put a tire iron in your checked baggage, hop on a plane and go whoop some a$$. lol :madmax:

Seriously though, I hope you get your stuff. It sucks when companies run a business like that.

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To me, it's not even the waiting 2+ weeks to get my parts that really bugs me, its the lack of communication and the feeling that I *can't* get in touch with the people who have my money.

If the parts truely shipped from Florida on Monday there is no reason they shouldn't arrive in Knoxville, TN by today [Thursday]. Here's hoping...

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Wouldn't say they're a scam, just a very shoddy run business that shouldn't still be in business with that sort of service. Next time check out a legitimate and reliable e-tailer like jensonUSA or Chain Raction Cycles. I can order stuff from jenson and have it here in under 3 days and I live in the Caribbean, plus their prices are always great and they price match.

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
***UPDATE***

I did recieve my packeage of stuff today! Everything I ordered was included but I got the wrong brake pads. I'll have to investigate whether I ordered the wrong thing or they were mislabled on the website but for $6 I'm not returning them either way.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My order was placed on 2010-04-25 the status shows as NEW. I wish I read this forum before ordering. I called but no one answered.

I replied to their order email and got back an error:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently: [email protected]
The email account that you tried to reach does not exist.

I will block that URL on my router so I do not make the same mistake twice.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If I run a bike shop and send out order confirmations via email, I make sure it is a valid email, but that is me. They can have chat, 2-3 phone numbers, web form, it all is worth nothing if they choose not to act promptly, ship orders, pick up the phone, and respond.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
ozvena said:
If I run a bike shop and send out order confirmations via email, I make sure it is a valid email, but that is me. They can have chat, 2-3 phone numbers, web form, it all is worth nothing if they choose not to act promptly, ship orders, pick up the phone, and respond.
Most companies in most industries use automated conformation e-mail systems that are just dummy senders. The better ones will include real contact information or at least a note that responses to the dummy won't be received or responded to.

One of the reasons I prefer the old fashioned phone is website stocking information is usually screwed up and sometmes if you are talking to a person you get real time stock levels.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
- Ordered on 4/25
- Made numerous inquires about the status
- Order has been updated to 'Shipped' on 5/5
- Received wrong size on: 5/15
- Made numerous inquires about the wrong size.
- As of today, 6/15 the replacement has not been shipped.

Is BikePartsUSA a scam? Yes!!!

·
The Pain Train
57 Posts
[email protected] is the address of the automated script that sends out the email. I'm guessing if you read the email carefully there is some fine print that says "Do not reply to this address."

Use their official contact info, and try the "Chat Live Now" option on the website like the OP did to get information.

Slow/inconsitent service does not make it a scam.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Old stuff dude, anything new you want to add?

They suffer, customers suffer, why not close the store? BikePartsUSA do not deserve to be around. There is simply too many complaints for this firm.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Armstrong57,

It is about how easy you want to make it to your clients and to yourself (respond to order confirmation emails with all the details there as oppose to other ways discussed here).

Next time you see them On-line (the chat) post here, I want to see it. What a joke!

ozvena said:
... and be honest about the situation.

Next time you wait 2 months for stuff post your successful story, I want to see your happiness!

·
The Pain Train
57 Posts
I'm not arguing with you there, they don't sound like a place that should still be operating, and I as well as many others, I'm sure, appreciate you guys bringing your issues with them to the forum.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.