Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a never ending quest to turn my perfectly good Stumpy into a light weight ride, I've decided to upgrade my bar to a carbon Monkey Lite. So what is the real scoop on oversized verses standard diameter? The standard diameter seems to be a little easier for me to get. I ride XC, some very light all mountain and weigh 170. Which way would you go?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Unlike the light weight direction you're headed I look for components that aren't quite rated for dh or freeride so that they hopefully last longer. Light weight materials still don't seem as bulletproof as a bit heavier stuff and having a handlebar, rim, seatpost fail on a ride 5 miles from the parking area still sucks for me.

I weigh 165.bs.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Gasper said:
In a never ending quest to turn my perfectly good Stumpy into a light weight ride, I've decided to upgrade my bar to a carbon Monkey Lite. So what is the real scoop on oversized verses standard diameter? The standard diameter seems to be a little easier for me to get. I ride XC, some very light all mountain and weigh 170. Which way would you go?
Thanks
I think that for CF it's better to have a wider bar so that the pressure is better distributed. So, I would say that OS is good ;)

·
certified mtb addict
163 Posts
I've been running a MonkeyLite XC in standard size for 2.5 years now without a problem. Its survived the same sort of riding you are intent on doing and a few crashes here and there. I weigh about 85kg (~187lbs) with riding gear on.
I'd say go with whatever stem clamp size you currently have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.