Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just wondering, does anyone here go out and just explore anymore on their bikes? Just start heading down a trail or a two track road just to see where it goes? Or have we all become so dependent on GPS and phones? I've read comments on here in the past about "my local trails are a spaghetti bowl" and needing turn by turn instructions. Am I the only one who uses landmarks as points of reference? I get its easier to do this in some areas than others, but still.

There's open land between my city and the county park/trail system. When I first started riding I learned a few landmarks just to know which way I was heading. Then just took off onto dirt roads. Even through most of these miles are just pedaling miles, I really enjoy being alone. I'm not any further away from home, but just out side enjoying the ride.

Admin Edit: Add photo for front page feature
Bicycle Tire Bicycle helmet Sky Wheel

·
Administrator
11,324 Posts
I lived in AZ for years before GPS or phones and we used USGS Topo maps but mostly adventure was the name of the game. That and the local 411.

I am all for exploring frankly. I found some great trails in Tucson and so not so great trails as well. I think the more you get into geographically restricted areas and population crowding the less exploring yields reward as open space becomes restricted.

I do miss the old days of noticing a single track branch, following it and hoping it went somewhere then either backtracking or finding a road and having to ride it in the hopefully correct direction to get yourself somewhere you recognized.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a terrible sense of direction and have great admiration and jealousy for those who don't suffer from this deficiency. This means that getting lost in the woods is one of my true phobias. For me, getting lost in the woods is about like being buried up to my neck and having my head and face smeared with bacon fat so vermin can eat me alive. That's how much it scares me. So, by myself, no exploratory ramblings for me. With someone who I am confident in, I am all in.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
130 Posts
I've done it on occasion. But usually I'm looking for a specific ride (blue trail, technical, flow, whatever) rather than an adventure.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a terrible sense of direction and have great admiration and jealousy for those who don't suffer from this deficiency.
Just like anything else, its a skill that can be taught and practiced. Does it come easier to others, sure just like one person prefers one subject over another in school. Its a skill you should practice for the day your phone gets smashed in a wreck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done it on occasion. But usually I'm looking for a specific ride (blue trail, technical, flow, whatever) rather than an adventure.
Thats cool and I enjoy ridding certain trails to ride that trail or sets of features. I just feel like I did as a kid just heading out the door on my bike not sure where my friends and I would be that day.

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
I do once in a while but not voluntarily. I am being more careful nowadays since the mountains can be unforgiving and I have a toddler now. I'll backtrack if I'm getting on unfamiliar and unused trails.

·
Trail Rider
1,557 Posts
You're language is a bit sloppy OP. Are we talking about getting lost or exploring?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Just wondering, does anyone here go out and just explore anymore on their bikes? Just start heading down a trail or a two track road just to see where it goes? Or have we all become so dependent on GPS and phones? I've read comments on here in the past about "my local trails are a spaghetti bowl" and needing turn by turn instructions. Am I the only one who uses landmarks as points of reference? I get its easier to do this in some areas than others, but still.

There's open land between my city and the county park/trail system. When I first started riding I learned a few landmarks just to know which way I was heading. Then just took off onto dirt roads. Even through most of these miles are just pedaling miles, I really enjoy being alone. I'm not any further away from home, but just out side enjoying the ride.
I like that sentiment. I've ridden pretty much everything nearby over the past 20 years that I've lived here though, and the twin-track roads are really boring and super deep dust. I've explore the local Jeep roads in a Jeep though. They're a product of the logging industry so most of them lead to nowhere (actually to old tree harvesting plots) but rarely to a lake, viewpoint, or anything worth Instagramming. I love the exploration thing but now it involves traveling to other parts of the country or even outside of this country.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,458 Posts
Willingly?
I am lost on default with an unhealthy level of constant confusion.

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
Maybe if you're dumb or have significant short term memory loss...
I mean, if you want to go by the theory "you can always go back the way you came" then I see what you're saying. I've been lost trying to go back the way I came before though, it's easy to get mixed up in the woods and especially here in the desert where everything looks the same. I try to remember small landmarks while I'm exploring out of cell phone map range. That's definitely not 100% fool proof though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're language is a bit sloppy OP. Are we talking about getting lost or exploring?
I don't believe you can head out to explore without a willingness to get lost. Now I'm not talking about having to call in the troops lost, but maybe making a wrong turn and just seeing where it goes.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts