Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zwift,

Does anyone here use Zwift? I understand that it's more road-oriented but I was wondering if anyone here is using it and can chime in.

Is it worth $1000? Does riding/racing in other countries and cities give you satisfaction?

I'm really considering purchasing it for days when I can't ride. Plus, I think it'll be fun riding with others and competing.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I've spent a little bit of time on zwift and for me its not worth the subscription. As long as I have my numbers(power, time, cadence) then I'm fine just watching youtube or listening to music. I guess the appeal is the whole racing thing, but I have my own agenda.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I tried out Zwift and Trainerroad. Trainerroad just made more sense for me cause I felt like the workouts were better/ more focused and I'd rather just have a podcast going then the whole zwift thing.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ likewise. I used Trainer Road and then got onto Zwift for fill in when not doing a training session. But this past winter I just did trainer sessions (Erg mode) on Zwift. The training sessions and plans on Zwift are a little wack, but OK for my purposes. I'm definitely not into the Zwift thing and prefer platforms that offer actual video of rides. This winter I'll look into trying something else.

My limit on riding the trainer, other than the shear tediousness of it, is my butt getting killed by the saddle. Despite standing at times, the lack of the normal motion and vibration I get during a real ride just kills my butt.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I tried Zwift for a while. I don't have a smart trainer, just a Kurt Kinetic but it worked well enough. I eventually picked up a regular magnetic exercise bike that adjusts easy for my wife and I to share. It is nice for doing intervals to hockey games and similar.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
You definitely don't need to drop $1k to use Zwift, about 3 years ago I used it with an old Cycleops Fluid 2 and speed sensor, and for the past 2 years I've been using a Kickr Snap (wheel-on smart trainer) I picked up for $400.
By no means am I a "trainer" guy but this past winter I was able to put in some good miles doing both races and just riding, not using any of their training plans, and went into Spring in much better shape than usual.
I used to let my subscription stay active throughout the year and zwift a couple of times per month when rain or life got in the way but since they raised the price I'm now suspending my account during the riding season.
Good luck.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,598 Posts
I've used Zwift with a dumb trainer before. Generally speaking, me and trainers don't get along. I get incredibly bored with the lack of feedback from the bike, but I've used it in the past for short spins, mostly in the wintertime, when conditions don't allow for getting outside to ride.

I used a Kickr direct drive trainer ONCE in a training studio in a group session, and that was actually interesting and engaging.

I have some friends who use the indoor systems quite a lot. They're def roadies, but they use it so they can economize their exercise time, so the combo of weather and work schedule play into their usage patterns.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Let me add that I didn't get a smart trainer (Cycleops Hammer) to ride Zwift. I got one for training, particularly using erg mode. Zwift is mainly built around their virtual riding/game in which you use slope mode. There are lots of different sites/apps that a smart trainer can be used with. Once you have a trainer, the next thing is finding the app(s) you like the best.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
While I mercilessly mock my Strava followers for riding indoors in the winter, and assert that virtual riding should count for zero miles on the Strava boards.... the full setup does look pretty neat when my kid was trying it at MEC.

But the cost of the smart trainer setup would keep me out of it, even if indoor riding (or indoor exercise of any type) was something I was willing to try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.