Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(the hollow pins and slotted plates version) or any other road chains for mountain biking. The only difference between road and mtb is the contaminents and more climbs. But don't roadies encounter climbs as well? Road chains have to be pretty strong too.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mtbric said:
(the hollow pins and slotted plates version) or any other road chains for mountain biking. The only difference between road and mtb is the contaminents and more climbs. But don't roadies encounter climbs as well? Road chains have to be pretty strong too.
Lots of people here use PC-89R on MTB with no problems. It's very light, comes with a powerlink and is a good chain. Just slap it on and ride off into the sunset.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Mtbric said:
As Nino put it, if Armstrong and Cippollini aren't breaking these chains, we aren't likely to either. I use them on my bikes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with that, but what about the 10 spd stuff

I've seen a few bikes on the Light-bikes site with the KMC X10 chain. How well does that work. If it works fine how will it fare when it gets dirty or muddy? I would imagine that the tolerances will be much smaller which may lead to the drivetrain not running as smoothly. Is this true? ... I would really like to try one of those light chains now that it's about time to replace my 7700 (it's also rusted a bit and is not that old).

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
no problems with KMC X10...

that's the chain i use on my roadbike and on my MTB. both have 9s drivetrains. shifts smooth as ever but is 30g lighter than a Shimano Dura Ace 9s chain, 15g lighter than the SRAM Hollowpins and just 3g heavier than the lightest , the Wippermann Titanium but at a fraction of the cost. it also comes with a "powerlink" just like the SRAM chains. no tool needed, very cool.
it should be even better in mud and less likely to clog than the regular 9s chains since it's slightly narrower in width.

here's my detailed message on this chain and the different weights:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=121503#poststop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.